water pump/MSD intake problem

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yeah, the VA stuff is a work of art. With everything fitting as close and tight as it is, I guess I'm not surprised that switching pumps would have some problems. It basically has to do with the pumps having some major contour differences. It would not be too hard for someone to design a bracket that fit the Edelbrock. The edelbrock almost looks like it was designed for the MSD/NW 102 combo. Much easier/nicer to grind/cut on a bracket than throttle bodies and other components...

2. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    My biggest gripe with the front runner is the lack of proper belt wrap for the power steering pump.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    What’s interesting is if you go to Summit Racing website and look at the VA front runner kit, the notes say the provided water pump may not clear large bore throttle bodies. Go figure.....

Did the kit come with everything? Alternator etc?

Attached Files:

4. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yep, everything you see. Very well put together and compact. I may have a gripe after I get to using it...

5. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yeah, I noticed that - potential for slippage. Probably more of a concern for competition driving like you do. I hope it is not a concern here. I'll have to keep an eye on that...

6. Hefs73

Hefs73 New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    I know this post is a few weeks old, but I wanted to jump in here because I recently ran into the same issue. I have a VA Front Runner setup for LS6 configuration and when I installed my MSD intake it wouldn't even sit down on the heads because of interference between the intake and water pump. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the interference, but it looks the same as what was already posted in this thread.
    I initially shaved the cover plate portion on the bolt tab that sticks up on the water pump and replaced the bolt with a pan head and shaved the head down on that as well. After that, I was able to slide the intake far enough forward but it still wouldn't sit down because of interference with the top of the water pump.
    I took a bur bit to the top of the water pump and started removing material, (a lot of material). I was finally able to get the intake to sit down and I didn't break through the water pump. My plan was that if I broke through the top I was going to cut it out and weld in some 1/8 aluminum. Not sure if it was just mine but that VA Water pump has a ton of material on the top and backside edge under the throttle body.
    I ended up removing the bolt tab completely just to make additional room. Currently have an LS7 TB installed. I drilled a new hole a little lower and tapped and installed a 10-32 Pan head bolt. I broke through so I put a little RTV on the threads.
    Ill post some pictures of my clearance with the TB installed as well as the Waterpump. Should be able to guage where and how much material I removed.
    It will work!

7. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^^ not going to buy the same pump as Richard

8. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Glad to hear you made it work. It looked like to me that I needed to take out a 1/2" or more of material...That's why I looked for another pump.

Would be interested to see some pictures.

BTW, I have a Vintage water pump for sale if you need an extra ;).

9. Hefs73

Hefs73 New Member

Mar 29, 2018
  10. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^ Looks like an OEM Throttle Body. Goat had the massive 102-105MM...That bad boy would not fit without a new pump.