water pump/MSD intake problem

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Anyone tried using the Vintage Air Front Runner system with an MSD intake on an LS? The pump they supply interferes with the intake just below the throttle body. It looks too severe for clearancing - probably need a 1/4" or so....

pump1.JPG pump2.JPG

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ahh that sucks! That front runner was probably designed to work with OEM and FAST intakes well before the MSD came out. Is that pump specific to the set-up or can you swap it out?

3. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

Can you cut it off flat just above the shaft of the bolt? pump2.png pump1.png

4. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yep, every time I solve one problem another one jumps up. Your right. It was designed for the OEM intake. I called them about this. They could have added a warning about this problem. The MSD is a very popular intake. They were not very sympathetic. I really need to make this work - have a lot of time and $ invested in this system. According to their tech, I have to use their pump for spacing and alignment issues. It was supposedly designed around the LS1 pump. If I could talk to their designer, I could probably make another one work with some spacers/mods. But I don't know how they differ...I'm leaning towards tapping two small holes on either side of that retaining bolt and screw in two 4-40 screws or the like. Then cut the ear off.

If you look closer, you will see that the pump has to slide farther back, into that region beyond where the TB mounts. That area drops down even further...

5. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    I haven't messed with the MSD intake but the Fast has similar clearance issues with aftermarket pumps. I clearance both the pump and the throttle body.

6. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I’ll trade you my C6 serpentine for that one ☝️

7. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Ha!

8. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Here are some new pictures. I took off the tab and screw in that area. It was not enough. I still need about 1/4" space vertically, and 5/16" horizontally 'into' the pump body and/throttle body. Not much room at all on the throttle body...

cutting into the pump that much will certainly hit water.

They told me they designed their pump based off the LS1. I'm thinking about buying an LS1 pum and seeing what the differences are and if I can modify it.

What year/model car would I need to look at for an LS1 pump?

pump3.JPG pump4.JPG

9. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    The vette will have the shortest sheave line. 97-2004 would be LS1 in a vette. 98-02 f body would be a longer sheave line. My wife's car has an older Wegner Motorsports drive that uses a C6 vette pump and spacers behind the pump, that's probably the route I would pursue since the intake is made for an LS7.

10. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I believe all car LS water pumps are all the same dimensionally. The only difference was the bell the belt rode on. It had a longer snout to accommodate the vette serpentine and the F-body. Later on the vette got a specific flat bell and hasn’t changed until the water neck moved to the driver side with the LS3

What sucks is the LS1 has like a 85mm TB much smaller then the 105mm hence much more room

Attached Files: