Water Marks

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by bfmgoalie, May 1, 2010.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I tried to find an associated thread, but no luck. We just bought a new (used) car about 3 weeks ago. Well, the wifey took the car out to wash it. She left the water on the paint and we now have the water marks.:( I tried 3-4 different waxes and no luck. Any advice?

2. badazz70z28

badazz70z28 Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2004
    mechanicfalls maine usa
    i just got some 3m rubbing compound and with a little elbow grease it worked great.

3. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2000
    Hemet, CA
    Or an orbital. You need a fine abrasive because it's not just a mark but actual mineral deposits (think bathorrom sink/shower head)

4. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Dunno. We have some issues like that in the country here. I'd wash it, then DRY IT, out of the sun.

Then a good wax, like 'NU FINISH'...yes, the stuff in the orange bottle.

You'd be surprised how well that works with a buffer ;)

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

orbital & 3m rubbing compound

6. Simon@London

Simon@London Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2009
    London Ontario
    What and where is up with that car wash. You cannot be the only one with this issue since it sounds like they are using some nasty hard water. Local wash's in my area have same problems but use softner added in so when your finished it rolls off nicely. Avoid car washes altogether with new rides is my advice and get out garden hose/ bucket/ sham-wow.

7. Huyzel

Huyzel Member

Re-wash with Dawn soap and dry with microfiber..

8. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Polishing/microfinishing compound not rubbing compound would be better.

9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Depending on how severe, you could and should start with something less harsh than a rubbing compound!

Sometimes a mild solution of white vinegar and distilled water will remover mild mineral deposits from hard water.

I suggest starting with a claybar system first. If that doesn't work, a cleaner wax like Mother's California Gold would be next. If that doesn't work, then go for a mild polish.

Always try the less harsh first before going for the strongest stuff on your paint!

10. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

This^ I've never seen a hard water spot vinegar didn't remove.