Warning for Vintage Air users

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    This may be common knowledge for some, but I don't remember anyone mentioning this before.
    Anyway, when I was running the hoses (water and Freon) through the inner fender well (as directed), I found that the screws around the outside perimeter securing the fender to the inner fender well were very sharp (see photo) and intruded into the passage way about 1/4". This creates an opportunity for hoses to be punctured over time.

Routing these hoses was not fun and I don't want to be doing it anytime soon, so I ground down the screws and carefully de-burred the edges. There are at least three, maybe four screws that can reach the hoses.

screw.JPG

mrfleet12 and Mike-78 Z-28 like this.
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I found that out the hard way too. My car is lowered so I’m using pan head fasteners. Anyway I dropped the inner fender slightly to get better access, once I put the fender back up the hose was stuck! That’s how I found out those screws protrude right up in there. I pinched a hose between the fender and the screw head

3. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

did you get it done?

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Something else to add to the "To Do" list. Those hoses were ignorant, and replacement was going through my head during install. Thanks Goat.

5. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yep. Cake once you know what you're doing...

6. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    That's one of my complaints about the Vintage air kit, they started selling these with the hidden hose option as standard. So I got the hidden hose kit as well...which makes routing more of a pain than the previous kits where the hoses came through the firewall in the stock evap case location.

7. Scarebird

Scarebird Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I was not too thrilled with the routing either. I made a pair of hose clamps to hold the hose to the inner edge of the outer fender. The compressor hose just ran back to the bulkhead. VA is a little too hot-roddy for me, I prefer the OEM look.

[​IMG]