Vortec intake gaskets, which one works the best.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by ORANGE77, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2002
    TRAFFORD, PA.
    I will be using a Edelbrock 2116 intake with my GM vortec head swap. What would be the best intake gasket to use? I do have some ARP 434-2002 Bolts (8 of them w/ washers), any problems using those?

2. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I use the Felpro PermaDry intake gaskets. They are metal with a thick rubber oring type of material molded in. Had them on 4 engines and never any problems. I have had leaks with both the plastic GM type and the typical papery Felpro ones.

Just look them up for a 97 Chevy truck 350.

3. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2002
    TRAFFORD, PA.
    Ok, I'll take a look at those. Thanks! :)

4. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Be sure to seal the corners extra well with rtv where it meets the China wall. Another thread just alerted me that's where my oily mist leak might be coming from.

5. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Lubbock, Texas USA
    X2 on the metal based with molded rubber. I've torn down a ton of Vortecs with the plastic/rubber gaskets and they never come off in one piece, ALWAYS at least cracked.
    Problem is finding these gaskets without buying everything else for an intake gasket swap on a L31 engine. The set includes a single valve cover gasket along with upper/lower gasket and throttle body gasket.
    If you happen to find them, please post up where they can be purchased without spending $50+ on a full gasket set.

6. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2002
    TRAFFORD, PA.
    Would the Felpro gasket recommended be model number MS90131-2 ? The pictures I saw looks like a copy to a Delco 89017465.

7. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Lubbock, Texas USA
    Nope, those are still plastic main structure with o-ring type seals. Check out
    MS98000T
    That set is the one I referred you to. You can see that you get a single valve cover gasket and both gaskets for the L-31 EFI engine. You should be able to find a pic of the individual intake manifold gaskets on Google somewhere. I think I have a used one hanging on my shop wall somewhere, I'll try to remember to find it and shoot a pic. You'll know them when you find them, they're different from all the others.

8. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2002
    TRAFFORD, PA.
    Ok, I looked up that number and saw them, I've seen this set before. Turned away since it seems to have gaskets I won't need, not a big deal if this seems to be the set to use. Summit has it a 48 or 49 dollars, 12 reviews with 5 stars (11 out of 12) :)

9. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Lubbock, Texas USA
    If you manage to find them separate from the complete set, please let us know. I tried last summer - everywhere I could think of - and couldn't find them. IMHO, it's worth buying the whole kit just to get the good gaskets, I've seen too many of the POS plastic ones fail.

10. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2002
    TRAFFORD, PA.
    I will do that. Don't mind having a few gaskets not needed, those I'll get. As far as the one (1) valve cover gasket that is seen, I have one (1) blue valve cover gasket that came with a pair of black centerbolt factory take-offs I bought last year. (might be the same) Going back to the valve covers, I did buy I pair of the pink-orange color GM rubber gasket a bit ago, never used. :bowtie: