Vortec Cylinder Heads: The Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by MikeM79, Jul 4, 2006.

1. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I worry about gas mileage in my DD, my 78 Z28 I don’t even think about it, it’s for burning it up as fast it can.
    I’d replace the bearings and rings and move up to roller lifters and cam. I’m using a roller cam that gives more torque & HP at a lower rpm, reaches its peak at 5 grand instead of 6 grand & above like most performances cams.

2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    If you're sure you will end up at 10:1, I would absolutely put the vortecs on. You can run 91 or 93 octane and will likely be fine and you will appreciate the extra performance. And you won't have to change the cam unless you just want to.

3. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Orlando, Fl
    My 79 is my daily driver, that's why I worry about mileage. Thank you for your responses, the heads I was looking at do have the steam holes drilled already, but the more I think about it, it seems like I will have too much compression for pump gas.

4. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    I ran 10.5:1 compression on a 350 here in Phoenix in the summers on pump gas and 64cc doublehump heads with no issues. And those heads weren't as good as the vortecs. Use the vortecs...

jeff swisher likes this.
  5. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    You would have to know how far down the pistons are in the cylinders or are they flat tops then how much dish the pistons have or how much the valve relieve is on a flat top piston. Then the compressed thickness of the head gasket you’ll be using & the chamber size of the heads then use a compression calculator. This will give you an idea of how much you have for compression. IMO 9.5 - 10 is about all you’d want for a DD.

6. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Orlando, Fl
    I just looked around on the web, and the best reference I found came from the NHRA saying that my 73 400 had 19.5 dished pistons. I am assuming that this is a stock block, as that's what the guy I bought it from said, and I'll take my oil pressure as evidence to the fact. That being said, I reworked my compression in the calculator on the summit website, with a .03 MLS gasket, I would only be at 9.6:1 compression. That being said, I have no chance of arriving at a good quench number, unless I mill the block, but I'm pretty sure that the dished pistons don't do anything to help quench anyways. Should I be worried about quench on a DD? I know my current setup doesn't help it.

7. kacy

kacy New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I need a set of springs to work with the sum-k1103 cam and vortec heads, the ones the machine shop installed have broken 2 so far. Summit says their 174000 springs will work but also list the I.D. as .870 instead of the .880 I have read is needed. Anyone have an inexpensive spring solution for this?

8. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    LS 6 beehive Valve springs drop right on but you need to have the right spring retainer for them. Somewhere in this Vortec Head section I posted the part numbers. The springs didn’t cost much but I think the retainers were more than the springs. I’ve been using them for about 3 yrs with no problem.

9. kacy

kacy New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    The prices I have seen put this up to about $150 for springs, retainers and keepers. I am hoping to reuse the retainers and keepers I have to reduce the cost of this fail, this swap is closing on on more than it would have cost to swap in a big block.

10. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I feel your pain! I have a Comp Cams EX268 cam an lifters that only have about 1200 miles on them, switch to a roller cam & lifters, don’t know what to do with that cam, 225.00 down the drain.