Vinyl top for '72

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Halm, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Halm

Halm New Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Fountain Hills, Az
    Car had vinyl top when new. Since removed and roof painted. Top installer wants to use Levant
    material with a thin foam backing for replacement. Is this correct material or will it be too thick to fit under the body trim? What was original GM material? Thanks

2. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

My 71 was an original vinyl roof car , year one supposidly had the original " unpadded" vinyl roof and assured me before I ordered it that they didnt deal with padded roof material . when I got it it was padded , they told me to try it . I said not a chance . I ended up finding the original Black Laviant unpadded roof material from EarlyBirds in Ontario Canada , oddly enough the box it came in had the same manufacturers stamp as the one I got from Year one ... I was very happy with the one I got from early birds . only differances from the original was my original roof had a single seam in the very center in the narrow section behind the rear window and the early birds kit had 2 seams ( inline with the seams on the sides of the top of the roof ) . This didnt bother me so I went ahead and used it . My installer noticed the front windshield piller sections did not have a seam as the original roof covering did ( close to the top of the piller ), but he was able to fold the new roof covering and duplicate the seam . the seams looks perfect and exact as the original did after he was done . Highly recommend the Early Birds roof kit , Dont recommend Year one due to the fact that they assured me theirs was correct and exact and when I received it they wanted me to " just try it , because the padding is quite thin so it should look ok " when I asked If I tryed it and if it didnt look okay would they still refund , of course they said no ...lol . In the end I got a refunded but never got return shipping or brokerage fees back .

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I still have not got one for my 70 rs, are they supose to be the same as 72? Halm ,I am interested in what you end up with. Please post or let me know how you come out, or with looks,fit and what ever. Thanks. And also , Peter welson for your info.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I have done research on this subject, as my 70' SS (L-78) has a Vinyl Top

70-72 was same UNPADDED LeVant Material that had a SATIN finish.
    In 73 The correct Fabric was LeVant but it had a GLOSS finish.

I dont have conclusions on the one rear seam / two rear seam
    conversation.....Would like too SEE more pictures on members
    ORIGINAL (how would you know) Vinyl Roofs A pillar and rear
    tulip panel seams !! (Confused Yet)

In conclusion I do not believe any 70-73 Camaro Vinyl Roof ever
    came with a "padded" material

twozs likes this.
  5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    So wher did you get a non padded vinal roof cover,and how much, where to get the glue to be spryed out of a can or gun?

6. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    Hogg, glue needs to be sprayed from a gun, spraycan stuff is not strong enough to do the job

7. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

Early Birds 2nd Gen parts , Ontario Canada , 1 800 463 0546 , ask for Mario and he'll hook you up

8. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam