Vinyl Top - clean and maintain suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The vinyl top is a 1986 replacement. Car has been in the garage without windows. The color is still good and uniform, material is pliable, no dry rot, no cracks, the material underneath is still has cushion.

Has not been really cleaned in 32 years though during this rebuild a couple water rinse offs and towel wipe was done.

After being cleaned, will keep a cover on the top

So, with a 32 year old vinyl top
    • What to use for a deep clean. More importantly, what should be avoided?
    • After deep cleaned, should a conditioner be used? Anything that should be avoided?
    • What about future maintenance

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I use 303 Protectant on my Vinyl and Rubber.........................

budro6968 likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Very soft bristle brush and mild soap. Then use the 303 after.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    x3 on using 303 protectant, mild soap & a soft brush. If it's in as good condition as you describe, a brush may not be needed.
    BTW, I use 303 on the tonneau cover on my dually. It sits outside all the time and the cover is like new.

5. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    About how many applications on vinyl top from a 16 oz container? One gallon on Amazon is $59 w free shipping

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Guy on you tube likes to soak his belts and wipers in 303. Claims you will have years or lifetime of use if done on regular basis. IDK Wipers Down here barely last 6 months in the sun.

7. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    IMO & experience, a 16 oz container should last you about 4 or 5 years. On my tonneau covers, I apply 303 about 4 times a year & use less than 1 oz per application. That's on a cover that is outside all the time. If your car is garaged, you'll use less.

8. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    On my landau top on my cutlass I use OneGrand Vinyl Protectant. Long lasting. I get it from carcareonline.com. I just clean it with mild car wash soap and apply the OneGrand.