Vintage air belt question

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by CoastieJoe, Nov 7, 2017.

1. CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I have a 74 Z28 with a 70 LT1 in it with vintage air set up. The way the kit came the only way to run the belt to the compressor was to run it from around the power steering pump not the water pump like the instructions suggested. Will this cause damage since they are both adjustable parts or will it be fine?

2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    I’m at work now but I’m sure my 71 VA setup has my belt running over the water pump and harmonic balancer and power steering pump. You probably need a longer belt. If I remember I had to measure how long I needed and trial and error got it right

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Mine's the same as his. My belt is 59".

4. CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    My belt is also 59” that goes to the compressor. There are three belts total one from balancer, water pump to alternator. One from balancer water pump and power steering and the rear belt is the one from balancer power steering then to ac compressor. In all the video instructions and online instructions I found they don’t go this route but the water pump does not line up with the ac compressor

5. CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I’ll attach a photo after work

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    God forbid you follow the instructions

7. CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    It was installed on the car when I bought it. There’s already a few things I’ve found that weren’t put together correctly so just double checking. The car made it across America twice already so can’t be too bad :)

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    My belt just rides on the outside on the PS pulley. Almost like the pulley for the PS pump is in the way. It doesn't go around the pulley like you would expect.

9. CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Until I get home to get a better picture here’s one that you can kind of see the set up of the belts.