VIN Checking a 13 digit VIN #

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Swanny454, Oct 12, 2011.

  1. Swanny454

    Swanny454 Veteran Member

    Mar 9, 2010
    Cambridge IL
    Okay, I have tried everything and every site and have spent over $100 on site fees trying to get some information on my sons 79 Camaro Z28. I bought it without a title and I am trying to get some history on it so I can try and get a title. Every site I have tried has no history of the car or says invalid VIN # since it is only a 13 digit VIN. I have tried Carfax, and tons of other sites. I had a license plate from Georgia for the car but I must have thrown it away. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to find some history on the car? Thanks for any and all help
  2. harbone66

    harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Have you tried taking the VIN to the DMV? None of the carfax type websites handle 13 digit VIN's.
    Do you know anyone thats a cop? See if they can run it.
  3. Rich Schmidt

    Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

    Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I dont know for sure,but I believe the web site that Ebay uses to give "free VIN checks" does the older cars. I think somebody mentioned how to do it once. Something to the effect of making out the add,gong all the way to the end of the process,and just before submitting it you go to preview the add and it will have the link on the preview of the add. Some claimed it worked,others didnt.
  4. MadMike

    MadMike Administrator Staff Member

    Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    Quit spending money. There's ZERO you can do or get with your vin #.

    The 1st thing I would do is figure out how to register/title this thing in your state. Go to the DMV and get the procedure.

    If the car came from GA, that would explain why there's no title - you don't need one here. I don't know how IL works, but before sinking any more $ into this car - get it legal in your state.

    Again, there is next to nothing you can find out about this thing, even with the vin. You may be able to trace previous ownership, but... really, who cares who owned it before it got put in the barn.

    Most of these online VIN things are BS. Carfax is decent, but that only works and is practical on NEWER cars. there's practically zero information about early 17 digit vin cars too.

    The car is what it is.
    My focus would be on getting the ability to legally own & operate this vehicle in your state.
  5. Swanny454

    Swanny454 Veteran Member

    Mar 9, 2010
    Cambridge IL
    MadMike, car was originally from Georgia, but I need the name of who it was last registered to in Georgia so I can get an IL title. That's why I have been trying to get info on the car from anywhere I can. Car would not have had a title since it is a 79 but I can't do anything without the name of the owner. IL requires a bill of sale stating the car was sold without a title since it was from Georgia. BUT, I have to have his name, if IL does a check on the car and finds the BOS does not match the last registered owner they will not issue a title. Since the car was left by these peoples son I want to verify he was the owner before I move forward. If he was not the owner then I have problems.

    I have spent no money on the car besides the purchase price and the fees for trying to get info on it. I am not going to start fixing it up until I have a title. So far we have just removed the interior and done some basic cleaning on it.
  6. SLO_Z28

    SLO_Z28 Veteran Member

    Jun 8, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
  7. hogg

    hogg Veteran Member

    Dec 29, 2000
    Go to your state,Ill ,ask if the car had ever been registered , they can look it up. Then call Georgia they could tell you who had the last plats,Maybe,
  8. mgoad1971

    mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Have you tried filing to replace a title? Call georgia and get a title copy mailed to you. Try a junk vehicle title.

    This list of every form available in Illinois may help:

    From what I just read, sounds like you will need a duplicate title from the state where you got it, or where it was last

  9. Sir 4 speed

    Sir 4 speed Veteran Member

    Feb 23, 2011
    spfld ma
    What's the vin? I know a cop he is a close friend I can have him run the vin and see what comes up if you would like?
  10. Z-WIZZ

    Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

    Mar 18, 2004
    have to agree w/ above, you need duplicate title from GA

Share This Page