Vibration at high speed help please.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by L Holmes, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Pc3

Pc3 Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2000
    CT
    glad for u.
    this was a great read.

2. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Yeah but removing metal from the main journals would change the position of the crank thus the need for bellhousing alignment. So Like I said the crank moves up in the block.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Woh-fS3DJA

Yes you called it Kenny.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  3. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I have a similar problem but my vibration occurs at idle. I have replaced the balancer, engine and trans mounts with no luck. One thing I did do is I stripped out the balancer bolt hole threads putting the balance back on. I have since learned my lesson and bought an installation tool. I stripped the hole threads 2 sizes and put a larger bolt in it, would that cause a vibration? The vibration is on-off like if you where sitting in a massaging chair. You can't see it looking at the engine running but if you sit down and touch the dash you can feel it.

4. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    From my experience a motor that shakes a bit at idle can be a bad spark plug or wire, a vacuum leak, or even a poorly adjusted carb.

Basically unequal power from one of the cylinders causing a shake.

5. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Finally got the car home and drove it today for the 1st time since the new trany. Car feels MUCH better. Didn't drive it far as I had to work tonight but the vibration is gone and the car feels very good.
    If anyone has need of 4 speed help, advice, repairs, or new trans. I would highly recommend Jody's transmissions in Reading PA. He went way out of his way to help and make sure my problem was solved and not just sell me a new transmission. I am going to send him my old M-20 for repairs so I can sell it to get back some of my $$ I spent on the new M-22W.. Thanks Jody.

6. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    After inspection my original trans (m-20) which I purchased as rebuilt, had been assembled improperly. Something about the sliders being in the wrong places. So my trouble was caused by a Ebay purchase of a supposedly "rebuilt transmission". Live & learn.

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Just read your post again...glad you found the issue.

I will be looking for similar causes with my car next year.

8. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Whodathunk that a manual transmission could cause such a HUGE vibration.

A few years ago, youngest son and I were at A Chevy event at Carlisle. Just for giggles and grins, he and looked at Muncie four speeds that were for sale.

You could tell the honest vendors head the side cover(s) off theirs. The not so honest ones didn't and wouldn't take the cover off.

So manual trans buyers beware of sellers that won't let you look inside their trans.

Too bad there isn't s "sticky post" showing good and bad manual trans parts.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  9. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Car is running very nice now. Everything is very smooth. Steering, brakes, all feel great. Trany shifts nice and motor feels strong. Now I just need to get someone to do the body and paint for me. Nobody seems to want to do it. Guess there is no money in it vs. insurance work.