Vibration at high speed help please.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by L Holmes, Jul 24, 2014.

1. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    I hear what you guys are saying and I hope you are correct about it not being an issue. But there were different height frame brackets and motor mounts for different years and motor combos.

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm

2. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Chevelle axels in a Chevy 2?

3. clm69z28

clm69z28 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    encinitas ca
    Here is the engine mount picture that I was talking about.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  4. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Update. Car is at Oneoff rods & customs. They are trying to find the source of the vibration now. Have disassembled the rear and checked everything in it. All good. Have replaced fan blade, harmonic balancer. Have checked flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch. Vibration is still present. Will update going forward..

5. txwooley

txwooley Veteran Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Huntsville, Texas
  6. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    UPDATE: Problem was determined to be coming from my transmission. Tail shaft bushing / bearing. Pilot bushing was also a mess. These were new less than 200 miles ago. Did a proper bellhousing alignment and found that we needed to put offset dowls in to get the bellhousing alignment corrected. After this was done I purchased a NEW M-22W from Jody's transmissions in Reading Pa. and have had the flywheel resurfaced again, new pilot bushing, clutch (new trans had 24 spline old M-20 was 10 spline) had them all installed in the car and they tell me today that all signs of vibration are gone. I will go pick the car up next week and see for myself. So long story short the bellhousing alignment was off enough to prematurely wear the tailshaft bearing / bushing to the point it was causing the vibration. I plan to have the old M-20 rebuilt and will probably sell it to get back some of the $$ I spent on the new m-22.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Glad you FINALLY found the cause of the vibration.

Back in 1973, I bought a Lakewood safety bell housing. The installation directions stated that it must be aligned to the center of the crank! I thought, "OMG, what have let myself in for!".

I called a good friend who had the alignment setup for this.

Fortunately, it was good to go the way it was so it didn't require the offset dowels. I sighed a HUGE sigh of relief!

8. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Food for thought, Say you had a motor align-bored, this moves the crankshaft up towards the cam. So you now need to have the bellhousing aligned properly. Apparently its a step that is frequently not done that really needs to be.

9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Align boring would center the crank in the block's main caps. IF done properly, then it should be as good as if not better than it was machined when it was made.

10. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Awesome. I think someone said transmission back in post # 29 and # 38. JK

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014