Vibration at high speed help please.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by L Holmes, Jul 24, 2014.

1. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    If not I'll take the car off your hands in your frustrated state.. lol

2. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Well I decided to get "professional" help and take the car to One Off Rods & Customs in Delaware to see if they can help me find the problem. I am going to take the car there on the 19th of this month. They are about 3 hours away from where I live but are pretty much the only hot rod / chassis shop I know of. They have done good work for me in the past though they are pricey $$.
    I think if by chance they say its the transmission I will opt for either a tremec 5 speed upgrade or a 700R4 conversion. Opinions?

3. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Sorry there but with that car the only thing you should be opting for is one of these....

http://www.5speeds.com/newm22.html

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  4. smithcr1981

smithcr1981 Member

Jul 3, 2013
    milwaukee, wi
    I love to slam gears but that's just me. I think all muscle cars should be manual. but im sure a lot of ladies have autos. j/k

5. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    The only reason I thought about the Tremec was for the 5th gear. I have 3.73 gears in my car and she hums around 3000 RPM at 55 to 60 mph with the small block I have in her at this time. And the only reason I thought about the auto trany was for weekend drag racing. 4 speeds don't do as well at the strip and you have to have a pretty high dollar clutch to use those nice drag radials they make these days durability wise..So Im told.
    I have not tried the newer dual disc clutch set ups though. Perhaps they would last longer?

Kenny; That is an interesting site that sells NEW muncies. I was unaware of them thanks. I have the muncie that's in the car, the Saginaw 4 speed out of a 67 L-30 car, and a Super T-10 out of a 74 vette sitting in my garage. All were supposedly freshened up by a local shop. Buying another 4 speed might be a questionable act. lol

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. clm69z28

clm69z28 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    encinitas ca
    Did you try clocking the driveshaft and checking the pilot bushing to rule those out? Fairly cheap diagnosis that can be done by you before taking it to the shop. If you look at what I went through to finally get a major reduction in the vibration, I suggest you try them. I can finally see out of the rear view mirror!

7. L Holmes

L Holmes Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Wondering a bit now about the motor mounts. I see the 350 and 302 motors used a different mount than the 327 cars. My car has 327 stands so it should use the shorter 327 engine mount. The ones I bought say they are good for 302 and 327 in a 67 Camaro but that's counter to what I have read as the 302 used the 8 inch balancer and thus the taller mount? Its hard to measure in the car but the clearances around the power steering, fuel pump fuel lines & headers, etc is so tight now I cant see anything being lower mount wise.

8. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I had the same issue with my 79 Camaro. It vibrated at a certain speed however mine was caused by two issues the first was rims the second was the motor mount engine brackets lost the screews.

They are now back on with new lock washers and loctight.

-Melo

9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    There was a design change on the motor mounts because the original V8 motor mounts would delaminate letting the motor rotate over that would then pull the throttle WFO! That NENER happened at a good time! I had it happen on my 64 Chevy II in a parking lot! MF'er! EVERY car in front of me looked like a brand new car! LOL!

Anyway, GM's new design trapped the base and motor side if the motor mount which eliminated that problem.

To my best knowledge, there is no "special height" V8 motor mounts.

10. clm69z28

clm69z28 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    encinitas ca
    IIRC, the various combinations of motor mounts and frame stands all result in the same height. I saw a comparison somewhere which showed a picture of the different combinations next to each other ( ls1tech maybe? I was doing an ls1 conversion at the time) and were all the same. I think the worst thing this would do would be to reduce the trans angle some. Do a search and you'll find it.