very easy way to clean/detail your motor

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by muscl car, Jun 13, 2011.

1. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego

i would not hesitate to have it hit the paint if it is diluted unlike some other car specific chemicals. it is a simple degreaser. even full strength for cleaning tires, just hose it off and you should be good.

2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    Hmmm.. anyone here ever fill a solvent tank with it?...

3. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego

as in a tank you dump dirty parts into to clean them?

i used it full stregth to soak parts like nuts, bolts, brackets etc. as mentioned, just be careful with the lenght of time you let aluminum be exposed to full strength, after that, you can use this stuff for ANYTHING!!!!!

4. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    Yes, I have a solvent tank (another HF cheapo-special) that I used to keep diesel fuel in as a solvent. (CHEAP and easy... the 'solvent tank' solvents were rediculously cheap.
    However, it was outdoors but covered then. I just brought the dried up tank back out of storage, and being that it's going to be INSIDE the garage, I don't want something that is flammable.

I was kinda thinkin' out loud on that one... and wondering if anyone had done that yet.

5. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I've soaked them before. Plastic parts at least.
    For rust I soak in purple power de-ruster. Purple power also makes a darn good degreaser for the engine as well!!

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Be careful on painted surfaces it will dull them. And man them fumes when you spray that stuff are just about lethal. Good degreaser though and reasonable price if ou buy the 2.5 gallon jug.

7. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    Wesleys bleach white is what you use for wide whites and white letters... Works wonders.

8. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego
    i think outloud alot. btw, you wont have to worry about how to dispose of the "solvent" in this case. just trap all of the dirt and let the rest drain. ;P

9. Rand

Rand Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Illinois

Always used Mom's SOS pads...worked GREAT...just have to get past Mom!! LoL

10. cgibsong002

cgibsong002 Veteran Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Just another thought.. anyone have any good ways to get everything to dry non-spotted after rinsing, or is towel drying the only way? Also the intake is always a pain in the ass because so much water sits on top of it.