very easy way to clean/detail your motor

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by muscl car, Jun 13, 2011.

1. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Plain City, Ohio
    Only apply while car is not moving!

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Be careful with Simple Green and aluminum. Guys in the Navy were bringing it in and using it on aircraft, was causing exfolitaion corrosion (metal peels apart in layers). I always ensure I do a thorough rinse, lots of water. And it is designed to be cut with water, although a lot of people use it full strength out of the bottle. (I buy the gallon size).

From Simple Green web site:

Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple GreenĀ® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego
    +2 to it works well

+2 to it will damage unfinished metal when used full strentgh for long periods of time

costco sells the galons too. if my wife wasnt a bleach fan i would use this in every spot in the house. the story behind it is what got me to pic it up for the first time. the founder got sick using household cleaning supplys. think about cleaing your bathroom and how toxic it can be while cleaning. if it is toxic before, you should have cleaned it more recently. :crazy:

the corporate offices are litterally on the bay in seal beach california and they are very strict on envornmental issues. i fully support the enviormental standpoint and used this product for ALL of my cleaning during my build other than random brake clean cans.

buy it, rinse it quickly on bare metal.

4. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the wife has an S-O-S pad, imma let her have it. At that point I'm in the cheering section...Go honey go!

5. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
  6. cgibsong002

cgibsong002 Veteran Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Any suggestions on another similar type product to use that doesn't really have a chance of damage? Say if you just wanted a real quick decent clean without worrying about being super thorough? I'm thinking just regular dishwash soap and water before rinsing...

7. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego

you have to work and let the simplegreen set to hurt anything. rinse, spray scrub rinse. done.

you can cut it down to clean ANYTHING. grab a galon and never look back

8. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I suppose instead of a 1:1 ratio I could also do something like a 1:2 ratio to water it down more and be less worried about it?

Is there anything you should avoid spraying aside from the carb?

9. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Just to be safe, I usually tape around my plugs (still hooked up) and bag both my carb and my coil/distributer.

10. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm assuming its safe on paint? (for inner fenders/firewall/overspray on car) Or should I not let it hit my actual paint on the car