Vehicle History

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by PBultynck, Sep 14, 2017.

1. PBultynck

PBultynck New Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Hello all,

I have a 70 Camaro. I have never found the build sheet. assume its long gone. My car is far from original. I was/am wondering if there is a way to see where the car has all been by the VIN tag. Would the DMV be able to get me that? I would also like to know if I could get a generic build sheet from the info that I do know?

2. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2008
    ffx, va
    Maybe if you had an insider in dmv or police.
    Probably a privacy issue otherwise.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Ask your DMV. Different states have different laws on that. They can tell you if it is something they can do or not.
    Years ago when my Son bought his Camaro I went to DMV. They were able to print out copies of all previous titles they had issued back until the point it came into N Dakota. At that point they gave me a title from S Dakota. I took that SD title and sent it to SD DMV. They sent me a copy of the title previous to that which was another ND title. A second trip to ND DMV finished the track to the original owner. A look in the phone book gave us the address of the original owner. My Son wrote him a letter and sent a picture of the car. The original owner responded to my Son with a nice letter and a picture he had taken the first week he bought the car.
    Most states aren't that cooperative because of the kind of people you find in large cities. In rural areas people tend to work together and help each other. Not so in large metropolitan areas so that information probably isn't available for you.
    But, you can ask.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    It is actually because of after 9/11 The way agencies share info has changed due to Home land security protocols. I had the same kind of trouble with hunting down info. My Florida Department of Highway safety and Motor Vehicle guy told me about it. Plus the Former FBI guy that works for National Insurance Crime Bureau NICB.

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    The NCRS offers a service that I used. For $50 they will tell you the date that your car left GM when it was new and what dealership it went to. Other than that there are no official records of Camaros from GM and many didn't even come with build sheets from the factory.