vacuum advance hits intake?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 74marolt, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    I do know it's a 7 year old deal. Just thought I would try posting vs starting a new. I don't like the guys that say....use the search button haha that's how I ended up on a 7 year old thread

budro6968 likes this.
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Who cares if it is old. If the info is relevant and helpful then I don't mind replying. The OP might not be around anymore but all of us have been in that situation before. What's more fun than getting the Dizzy in correct on the first shot. Maybe a Ball of flame from a 180 out?

Tpichevy likes this.
  3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Nothing like being bent over an engine , hand on Dizzy, telling buddy to start the car, and removing all of your facial hair !! HAA HA

Tpichevy likes this.
  4. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    So I'm looking for the safe lazy way out. I don't want to take a chance at hurting the paint trying to climb into the engine (and lazy) I know how to correct it the right way but I'm looking for the faster lazy way.
    Do I move all the wires counter-clock wise on the cap? When I do this do I have to have #1 @ TDC? Thanks guys

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    I am trying to follow this as well, so are people saying, just open the cap, see where the contact is located, and just use that point as the number one cylinder, and wire according?

6. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Isn't it just 180 out? I've seen that before. ( on HEI)

7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm way too stubborn to move the wires.
    I would pull the dizzy & make it right.

77 cruiser, budro6968 and Tpichevy like this.
  8. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Georgia
    there is the option moving one tooth on the distributor gear, or taking the gear off the distributor and putting it back on 180 out. moving the wires changes the angle of the distributor by 45 deg, moving to the next tooth on the gear will move you ~27.7 deg, and putting the gear on 180 out will move it ~13.8 deg. Mix and match until you get it where you need it to be. If you try hard-enough you can point it within 7-10 deg of any direction you want.

9. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    So if I move the wire do I need #1 to be TDC then move the wires counter-clock wise to keep from hitting the intake

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Yes, TDC on compression stroke.

Tpichevy likes this.