vacuum advance hits intake?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 74marolt, Aug 31, 2011.

1. 74marolt

74marolt Veteran Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Austin, TX
    So I just got my intake back on, distributor stabbed, and got it running, but when I go to advance the timing more, the vacuum advance is hitting the intake. Obviously tue distributor is installed wrong, but it runs fine. How do I get it back to having the advance in the right spot.

2. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    You will have to repull the distributer and reset it. I usually have the #1 Piston at TDC, and then insert the distributer in, making a few attempts (to adjust the rotor) until the distributer drops in to where the electrical plugs (assuming it's an HEI) of the cap will face the 3 o'clock position... then set timing after that... should keep you from hitting against the manifold or carb.

3. KEVS80-Z28

KEVS80-Z28 Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2000
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    I would bump the engine until the rotor is pointing to your #1 terminal . adjust your distributor to where you want the vaccum can. look at what terminal the rotor is pointing to and move your #1 wire to that terminal then continue placing wires per firing order.

4. Greg Mc

Greg Mc Veteran Member

Mar 18, 1999
    Hernando, MS
    If you don't want to pull the distributor you can adjust the spark plug wire placement on the cap. It really doesn't matter which terminal on the cap is #1 as long as the rotor and #1 plug wire are in alignment. Basically you can rotate every plug wire one terminal to the left or right.

What KEVS said.

5. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
  6. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Beat me to it lol I was also going to suggest moving the plug wires over one place on the dizzy

7. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    When you move the wires over one do you have to make sure your at TDC first? I'm probably over thinking this but my vacuum advance hits the intake and it's because I could not get the distributor to line up with the oil pump just right. I tried the long flat head trick but couldn't find the slot and didn't want to climb into the engine bay to do it. Sooooo now do I set back to TDC and what way do I want to move the wires on the cap... Clock wise or counter clock wise one spot?

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Find someone young and skinny with good eyes to climb on top of the engine so they can do it. Imagine a Line between # 5 and 7 and drop it in with the rotor just a little ahead of the #1 tower electrode. Helps to put a mark on the base of the Distributor.

9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    You guys realize this is a 7 year old thread? :D

Zstar and budro6968 like this.
  10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I might be slow but I will get there eventually.