V8TEC's '77 Type LT

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by V8TEC, Oct 12, 2008.

1. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ordered my Car Shop mount plates, American Autowire T56 pigtails, ARP connecting rod, pressure plate & flywheel bolts, Comp rocker trunnions, spark plugs & serp belt tonight. Fuel system parts (Aeromotive regulator & filter and FAST fuel rails) should be here by Thursday. Next up - cam & valvetrain, clutch & flywheel, 3.73s, axles & misc rearend parts.

Anyone have any experience with Mark Williams Master Line axles?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. secondgencamaro

secondgencamaro Veteran Member

I've started collecting my parts for the conversion to EFI as well. As far as the fuel tank goes, I got a new stock tank, a '99-'02 fuel pump assembly, a Vetteworks lock ring kit, and a Granatelli 340 fuel pump. The '99-'02 pump assembly has a built in regulator and is the right height to be installed in the tall side of the '74-'81 tanks. It also surrounds the fuel pump in a bucket of fuel, eliminating the need for a baffled tank. I was going to run the new Aeromotive Stealth 340, but you have to cut open the fuel bucket to do so which negated the whole point of running the '99-'02 assembly. That's why I got the Granatelli instead. It is supposed to be a direct swap with the factory pump. It was fairly inexpensive for all of this as well. $130 or so for the stock tank from AutoZone, $100 for the fuel pump assembly from RockAuto, $60 for the Vetteworks lock ring, and I don't exactly recall what I paid for the Granatelli pump.

3. secondgencamaro

secondgencamaro Veteran Member

What plugs are you running? I've been happy with the NGK TR55s. A lot of guys run TR6s with N2O or high compression n/a motors.

4. V8TEC

I bought AC Delco Rapidfire platinums, #6.

I would do the 4th gen setup but I'm not sure about bypassing the internal regulator, which I'd have to do since I just got my Aeromotive unit. I have thought about retrofitting some kind of hanger assembly into my tank with an internal sump or bucket, or just putting a cell in the trunk. I definitely don't want to sump the stock tank drag race style. I got a response from Tanks Inc and I think I'm going to go with their PA4 setup. If they sell it without a pump I'll put the Aeromotive Stealth in it. If not, I'll use the Walbro 255lph from them.

Looks like the EZ-EFI 2.0 won't be arriving just yet. I was told the kits are still being built by FAST. Didn't know it was a pre-order deal and that FAST was still putting them together. Not exactly ready to install it right away, so its not a big deal yet. Supposed to take another week or two. I did get some other parts in though:

Comp rocker arm trunnions

[​IMG]

AAW T56 pigtails

[​IMG]

ARP pressure plate bolts

[​IMG]

Auto Meter sending unit adapters, Russell FP gauge fitting, GM crank bolt

[​IMG]

Plugs & belt

[​IMG]

Aeromotive regulator & filter, Marshall FP gauge

[​IMG]

This Aeromotive stuff is jewel-like

[​IMG]

Should have my Car Shop mount plates tomorrow, FAST fuel rails on Tuesday. Hope to have the engine on the stand this weekend and start stripping it down for inspection & cleaning.

5. V8TEC

More parts came today

Car Shop engine mount plates

[​IMG]

FAST fuel rails

[​IMG]

6. V8TEC

Got the EZ-EFI 2.0 LSx system yesterday. Colorado Speed had it for a great price, $1451 w/free shipping.

[​IMG]

Got MSD wires too

[​IMG]

7. V8TEC

It was so nice out today that I couldn't stand being inside working on the house, so I took advantage of the weather and cleaned up the LS1, T56, FEAD brackets and the T/A cover from the 10-bolt from Mike's car. It might be putting that in my car for the time being since its been rebuilt with Richmond 4.10s and an Auburn. Not sure about putting the money into installing the T/A discs though.

Dirty T56:

[​IMG]

Clean T56:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirty LS1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 hours, 2 cans of engine degreaser, a bottle of etching mag wheel cleaner, 4 brass bristle brushes and 4 used toothbrushes later...a clean LS1 & FEAD brackets. Very happy with how well it cleaned up! I wasn't expecting it to come out this nice, considering how nasty it was:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still have to clean the water pump, alternator and intake. I'll try and take the alternator apart beforehand if possible so I don't ruin the innards.

At this point though, I'm thinking I might just put the T56 in for now and install the LS1 later. My gut is telling me the install of the EZ-EFI is going to take a good bit of time to do a neat install...and time is hard to come by when remodeling a house, which takes priority (still have the living room and 3 bedrooms to refinish). I don't want the car to be sitting in pieces when the summer comes and I want to go for a cruise. Plus, it'll give me a good comparison on how much I gain in efficiency when I switch to the LS1. Currently at ~15mpg on backroad driving.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  8. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
  9. V8TEC