V8TEC's '77 Type LT

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by V8TEC, Oct 12, 2008.

1. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Damn, I really let this thread die! Been busy with my brother's estate...FINALLY got it squared away (over 2 years after he died) and bought his house from the bank on a short sale. The bank took FOREVER to make up their minds. I had to make a hard choice...either build his car, or buy & remodel his house...and the house won out. I needed new digs and didn't really need another 2nd gen Camaro, and to build his car the way he wanted it would have actually cost more then remodeling the house.

There's very little on the body of his Z28 that is useable except the roof, so it'll be scrapped...it has no floor, no trunk floor, rotted quarters, rotted rear valence, rotted rocker panels and rust holes in the dash. Some of the other parts will go into my car, and some will be sold.

I'm pretty sure that I'm switching to the Pro-Touring route with my '77. Getting tired of the not-so-great handling, and the P-T look on big bumper cars is becoming more attractive to me. Then when I saw the 2014 Z28 in white with those slick black wheels and monster brakes, that all but did it. I'll do some stuff over the winter, but a lot of my time & money will be spent on the house so progress on the car will resume, but it'll be slow. Hell...even the garage of the house needs to be redone and that has to happen before I dig into the car again.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. carcrazed

carcrazed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    yeah.... it's been a while man... Sorry to hear about your brother. I'm still working on Mom's estate too after a year and still more to do. I'm sure your bro would have been happy knowing you got his house. Take care!

3. V8TEC

Thanks man, and sorry to hear about your mom. It's a real battle dealing with estates, huh? Mike didn't have a will so everything had to go through probate court. Probate was getting antsy with the bank delay as much as I was. The bank finally got their ass in gear and settled on my offer!

Now I can tear the house up and give IT some new parts! :D

4. V8TEC

In the meantime I'll just be gathering parts.

WS6 front swaybar off ebay, WS6 rear swaybar from Mike's Z28

[​IMG]

Rear bar dropdown links from Mike's car

[​IMG]

Energy Suspension front swaybar bushings for WS6 bar

[​IMG]

5. V8TEC

UPS man dropped this off today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. V8TEC

Had to return the EZ-EFI setup...it wasn't gonna work with the intake on the engine I just bought. LS1/T56 combo:

[​IMG]

In its place, I bought the EZ-EFI 2.0 LSx kit.

[​IMG]

It was a great deal I couldn't pass up. Came with everything except the wiring & ECM, and it included a Tick Performance adjustable clutch master cylinder, MGW short throw shifter, ported & polished throttle body, BBK 4th gen headers (I'll modify them to fit) and since its a 2000MY it has the LS6 intake. Gonna stuff a cam & valvetrain in it with Comp Cams rocker trunnions, MSD wires, Dynomax Ultra-Flows, Magnaflow spun metallic cats and see if I can hit 400RWHP. Gonna buy a new clutch & flywheel, an aluminum driveshaft (it came with the 4th gen D/S but I don't know if its gonna fit), and the rearend is getting 3.73s and Moser axles.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  7. carcrazed

carcrazed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome to see some toys coming in the mail! Yeah, probate takes forever. I'm still waiting on the bank too, but I am just assuming the loan so it should be pretty easy. Nice new engine there! I'm debating myself on whether to upgrade the top end or swap out a 383 stroker. Prize wise it's almost a push. Good to see you getting some progress! Bet it feels good!

8. V8TEC

You bet it does! :) Love seeing new parts come in.

I could have assumed the loan too but it would've been a seriously bad financial decision. I got an appraisal, made a list of everything that needed to be done to it, and made the CU a short sale offer that they took 2 years(!) to decide to accept. Got a great deal on it, and I'm doing most of the work myself (except the kitchen). It's a lot smaller than my house in VA, but its the perfect size for me. It only has a 1-car garage right now but it's fairly roomy (6' on each side of the car). I'll add a detached 2-car later. Just got delivery of my new windows & doors, and the kitchen will be installed on March 10th! Woot!!

It'll probably be a few months before I put a wrench to the car, so I'll just compile a mountain of parts until then. :cool: Should have the new EZ-EFI and fuel system parts this week, and I got a quote from Martin @ Tick Performance for a a custom cam.

9. secondgencamaro

secondgencamaro Veteran Member

You're going to be really happy with the LS1. With my LQ9, MS3 cam, Victor Jr, BG 750, and the old Edelbrock stepped headers, I put down 390whp though a TH-400 with a 6500 rpm redline and I never reached peak power. With an LS6 intake, LTs, and a spec cam, 400whp should be no problem for you.

10. V8TEC

You went 11.90 with that combo? Thats awesome. I figure once I totally finish the car, it'll weigh in around 3250lbs and run 11s. The cam Martin spec'd out has less duration than the MS3 (233º/236º) and he said I'll still have enough vacuum for power brakes and EZ-EFI.

Still thinking about what type of fuel pump I want. Torn between the Tanks Inc. setup with a Walbro 255lph pump or an Aeromotive #11106 inline.