V8TEC's '77 Type LT

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by V8TEC, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Amazzen

Amazzen Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Toronto. Ontario
    I'm not too bright when it comes to engine or transmission internals, can you explain what your preference is with the cam? Why? And how does that marry up with the rest of the plan? Hey.... I want to know, but maybe the "cam packages for dummies" version please. :confused:

If you find yourself needing some stock parts, I'll be happy to send you whatever I have in my spare parts bin. It will be hit and miss, but you never know!

I'm really starting to like it here.

2. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just want something that will give me a bit of a power increase, but the L98 heads on this engine aren't very good in comparison to modern designs, so choices are kind of limited on how much bigger of a cam I can use due to the relatively poor flow characteristics of them. Probably gonna end up with a cam something in the 220º @ .050 range, 112º lobe separation, based on what the cam manufacturers are recommending.

Understanding camshafts is somewhat complicated, but for an introduction, Comp Cams has a good article:
    http://www.compcams.com/Pages/416/valve-timing-tutorial.aspx

Here are some articles on cam selection:
    http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0403_camshaft_basic/viewall.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/proper_camshaft_selection/index.html

Some references on head flow characteristics:
    http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#Chevy

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/heads1.html

Sending you a PM.

Thanks for the offer on the parts! I'll let you know what pieces of the puzzle that its missing. :bowtie: I think most of it is there, probably missing some small stuff though.

Stick around, this place is THE best place on the planet for 2nd Gen Camaro info. Ask a lot of questions and read as much as you can! It's a great place that has a wealth of information, good folks and a whole lotta nice 2nd Gens. :cool:

3. V8TEC

Went to the storage facility today where Mike's car is. WOW. I have one helluva project ahead of me. There actually is a body shell in there. :eek:

[​IMG]

Bring it on. :bowtie:

Looks like most of the stuff is there...700R4, WS6 rear, full set of N90's, a set of Draglites, all the body panels (including the Air Induction hood, fender vents and both upper and lower grills!), all the suspension (w/Koni adjustable shocks and Vette Brakes composite leafs), trimwork, interior (w/the rope steering wheel & tilt column), gauges and a bunch of other stuff. Couldn't find his coated Hooker Supercomp headers though. They're probably buried in there.

On to the ZZ3. Loaded it into the back of my Tahoe, bought it home and took the valve covers and intake off. Looks pretty clean inside. Also looks like the heads were just port matched, not really "ported" in any major way. The porting only goes 1" or so into the runner. No big deal though. Carb looks good and clean, and it looks like he added a secondary metering block to replace the plate that comes on the 750VS, along with fuel bowls with the "quick jet change" ports. I thought he added an aluminum water pump, but it doesn't have one. I can't remember what happened to it, but he obviously took it off and used the iron one that came with the engine.

[​IMG]

No "Hecho En Mexico" on the bellhousing??

[​IMG]

Plugs all look clean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comp Cams rockers

[​IMG]

Lifter valley

[​IMG]

And the can't-kill-it Arcan Made in USA hoist...this thing is 20 years old and has never missed a beat.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow the oil pan comes off. I'm thinkin I should take the heads off just to make sure there's no rust in the bores, although I doubt there is any because Mike was pretty consistent in keeping up with the "preservation" while it was in storage.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Wow, and I thought you were starting with his car the way it was pictured in the other thread. Didn't know it was all apart but i guess that part is already done then. What is the shell sitting on? I see the subframe in front of it. Looks awfully low compared to the engine stand behind it.

5. V8TEC

It was together, but he took it all apart to fix several roted spots in the rear frame rails. Like brother like brother, he took it ALL apart! He figured since it needed new rails, it would make more sense to go with an aftermarket frame (I think he was looking at the Art Morrison Max-G chassis) and completely redo the entire car to get it where he wanted it. It's sitting on the rocker panels on wood blocks right now. Gonna be a real pain to move it!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  6. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Will be an interesting thread to see I'm sure when you get to it.

7. Caveman Tiny

Caveman Tiny Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 4, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Steve, thanks for stopping by my progress thread. I just finished reading yours. It took me 3 days and all I can say is WOW. I am totally inspired by your attention to detail. I am sorry for your loss and I look forward to following your next build. Thomas

8. V8TEC

Thanks Thomas for the kudos and condolences. Good luck with the Z28! :bowtie:

Probably gonna get started back on it in a couple months, gotta acquire the parts for the ZZ3 swap first. Still bouncing the 700R4 idea around my head. All the parts are there and it'd be significantly less expensive than a TKO/T56 swap. I'd just have to convert it to lockup and buy a new converter.

9. Amazzen

Amazzen Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Toronto. Ontario
    Hi Steve,

Any updates?

Hope things are well...

10. V8TEC

Hey Paul, not much as far as updates go. Just mulling some things over before I drop the cash and build the drivetrain around the ZZ3/700R4. As much as I want to get moving on Mike's Z28, I've wanted to build a big bumper car for 35 years now, and I don't want to cheap out and end up regretting it later.

Pretty much at a crossroads, just considering all drivetrain options before proceeding. Big expense...only want to spend it once. ;)