V8TEC's '77 Type LT

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by V8TEC, Oct 12, 2008.

1. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Been waiting to do this for a while!

I bought a bunch of parts not long after I bought this car in August '07, but had been waiting to install them so I could do some detailing, but the plan grew to include getting the car ready for more power (hopefully NEXT winter). The body and interior are in good shape, but the engine compartment, chassis & suspension are really greasy & grimy. Kinda glad I waited until now to start, since I moved to VA in December, I would have been in a rush to get it done when I lived in CT, and it probably wouldn't have turned out like I wanted. Now I have all winter to get it done, so this is gonna be kind of drawn out, because there's a lot to clean up and a lot of parts to add. Here's the plan for this winter:

Engine:
    SMI Q-Jet rebuild
    Eddy Performer intake (cleaned-up ebay piece)
    New Comp Cams 980 valvesprings, new valve seals
    Relocate oil filter (with parts from my first Camaro)
    New NPD coolant recovery tank
    Performance Distributors HEI Street/Strip coil kit & Dyna-Mod
    MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires
    Quick Start 105 amp 1-wire alternator conversion
    New NPD engine wiring harness
    New NPD headlight harness
    Energy Suspension poly engine & trans mounts
    CVR ProTorque starter #5323
    Summit 1⅝" coated headers
    Flowmaster #17149 dual exhaust
    Perma-Cool or LT1 electric fans (haven't decided yet)

Trans & Rearend
    SpeedDirect.com clutch linkage
    Hurst Pit Pack (shifter bushings)
    Narrow rearend, add Mark Williams Ford-style housing ends, weld axle tubes & reinforce spring perches
    Mark Williams Master Line axles w/½" wheel studs
    Brute Force U-joints

Suspension & Brakes
    PTFB Stop Flex kit
    GW Del-A-Lum front control arm bushings
    Energy Suspension poly leaf spring pads
    C-E aluminum front leaf spring bushings, NPD rubber rear bushings
    Energy Suspension poly rear swaybar bushing & mount kit
    Bilstein Shocks
    Hurst Roll Control
    Rebuilt stock brakes w/stainless lines, braided hoses, Hawks pads

Miscellaneous
    American Grafitti AC Delete box
    NPD heater core & blower motor
    '69 Camaro "350" fender emblems (for the hood)
    Wheel vintiques Corvette-style Ralley wheels, 15x7 front, 15x8 rear
    BFG Radial T/A tires, P235/60SR15 front, P275/60SR15 rear

Here's what I started with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took this stuff out yesterday:

[​IMG]

...and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took this stuff out today:

[​IMG]

...and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After taking all this stuff out, it raised the front of the car 1½" inches, and the engine isn't even out yet!

Everything looked OK (dirty, but OK), until I pulled the plugs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 & #4 look a little crappy. #8 had some crusty stuff on it that seems to be flaking off the insulator. The car ran OK, but it did have an intermittent miss above 4800RPM. These plugs were in the car when I bought it, so as far as I know, they could be several years old. It didn't burn any oil (did leak plenty though).

Kind of confused about what I should do with all the AC wiring. I know I'll need some of it to work the heater, but I'm not sure what wires I can cut out...

I thought about putting a bigger cam in it. It's got a Comp 260H now, but it probably wouldn't be worth it unless I bought heads, which aren't in the cards for this engine.

Engine and trans should be out next weekend!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Looks like a good solid project. Keep at it and keep us posted :)
    Nice list of goodies too

ANOTHER BIG BUMPER CAR COMES BACK TO LIFE

3. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Brewsterico, New Fail
    That car is VERY clean, those are the best looking stock manifolds I have seen, usually they look like crusty rusty!

Sounds like you have a good fun project ahead!! Good llucK!!

4. V8TEC

Thanks guys! It's gonna be a lot of work, but it'll be worth it. I've actually been looking forward to gettin' greasy again and do some resto work...it's been a long time.

The body and interior are really clean, there's no filler anywhere except the rear valence. All the panels have perfect gaps, which makes me nervous about taking the front sheet metal off to make it easier to refinish the radiator support & front subframe...I haven't yet decided if I'm gonna remove it or not, but I'm leaning towards not.

Thank KJ, but I gotta admit the pic is a little deceiving...they're actually pretty nasty, but I think all that Liquid Wrench I sprayed on 'em over the past week (once every day for 7 days) "hid" the crusty finish. It worked great though, the bolts all came out without no drama whatsoever! Even the manifold to headpipe bolts came out with ease. I had visions of busted bolts stuck in the head, followed by a lot of cussing.

A few pics of the underside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the wheels & tires that require the rearend to be narrowed (only 1½" each side). The rears are 28x11.5x15 Hoosier QTP's on 15"x8.5" Convo Pros w/3⅜" backspace, fronts are 26x7.5x15LT M/T Sportsmans on 15"x4" Convo Pros w/1¾" backspace. Since I want to add the MW axles and Ford-style housing ends to get rid of the c-clips (I don't want to use c-clip eliminators), it only made sense to have the rearend narrowed instead of buying new wheels with Camaro-friendly backspacing. I originally had them on my Grand National, but kept 'em when I sold the car because I thought they'd look killer on a 2nd gen.

[​IMG]

I mounted them on the car at one point, but they just didn't fit in the rear wheelwells:

[​IMG]

It doesn't need them right now, but hopefully next winter I'll be building an engine that'll put 'em to the test.

A vid of the stock exhaust...Z28-style split duals w/resonators, single aftermarket cat:

[​IMG]

5. Ls1smlblck

Ls1smlblck Veteran Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Jacksonville, Fl
  6. David Hartley

David Hartley Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Glen St. Mary, Fl.
    Nice big bumper camaro! :D

7. 2000Z14X2

2000Z14X2 New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Texas "Where else"
  8. V8TEC

Thanks gents. :bowtie: I think some night this week, I'll yank the trans & driveshaft out so I'll be ready to pull the engine on Saturday morning and get it on the stand, then start cleaning it up. I'm debating if I should replace the clutch or not...it feels good, and didn't slip at all, but it's one of those things that make me think "while I'm there...".

I guess I'll wait and see what it looks like when I get it out.

9. V8TEC

Got greasy again today

Got the trans, clutch, driveshaft, fuel tank and the front 1/2 of the exhaust out today. Batting 1000 so far...not even one broken bolt yet! :D

Couldn't get the back 1/2 of the exhaust off since my compressor isn't hooked up yet, gotta wire a 220v outlet into the garage.

I thought this car had a Ram clutch in it, but looking at it, I'm not so sure now. It "looks" like a stock replacement. The flywheel has an odd looking pattern worn into it. Take a look at the flywheel/clutch pics and let me know what you think. Burnt? Probably should just replace it..."while I'm there". The budget expands LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flywheel closeup:
    [​IMG]

Another closeup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clutch closeup:
    [​IMG]

Disc:
    [​IMG]

Don't laugh at the rubber gloves...I just had 'em on to keep my filthy hands from getting oil on the disc :)
    [​IMG]

10. V8TEC

Today's parts pile:
    [​IMG]

I guess it's a good thing I took the car off the road now...the clutch fork actuator rod was just waiting to strand me in the middle of nowhere. Kind of a sobering thought when I think of the powershifts I did with this: :eek:
    [​IMG]

Couldn't get a cherry picker this weekend, but I have one lined up for next weekend, so the engine has to wait until Saturday morning to come out. Bought an engine stand today to hold the greasy chunk of cast iron after I take it out.

Also looking at a complete standard bore 509-casting 400 long block thats for sale nearby. VERY tempting...:bowtie: