Upgrading to larger Air compressor, how is an Eaton?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by MR. FBDY, Jun 26, 2015.

1. MR. FBDY

MR. FBDY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2001
    hudson, NY
    I want to get a 80 gallon air compressor so I can run a blast cabinet and start to paint parts and eventually cars in my own garage.

Has anyone had experience with an Eaton compressor? I seen on garage journal some guys like them.

Anyone have any recommendations to brand or type of air compressor I should be buying and what to look for?

2. masck1

masck1 Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Hi Mike,

I used to sell them, first total up all the CFM you will need to size the compressor and how much you will actually be using it, then how long do you want it to last. The big box one's and the ones made in China spin the comp to get the cfm out of them which means the pump does not last long if you use them alot.

3. MR. FBDY

MR. FBDY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2001
    hudson, NY
    I don't really know how much I will use it, but I wanted it to be able to run the blast cabinet from time to time and I eventually want to paint local cars in the garage. I was thinking I need an 80 gallon with a 5 hp to do the job.
    This is my first big compressor, so I am not sure what brand would hold up over time. I have a small Camb Haus now, it is a 3 hp 30 gal tank, I use it for tires and blowing out garage. I haven't tried it on the blast cabinet yet.
    I don't need to buy an Eaton, I was just shopping around. I was just curious what brand guys liked that don't give you any issues when you buy them new.
    I read reviews on different brands and each has their own issues, bad switch, poor motor, bad air valve, etc...

4. masck1

masck1 Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I sold GD which bought Champion, there were two model home type and industrail. you will need at least a 5hp, might shop around for used name brand one, the pumps are easy to rebuild if needed. the biggest issue is no one really does maintenance on them, if they shut down someone goes and check the oil finds it's low, adds some until it shuts off again

5. masck1

masck1 Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Sent you an email

6. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Worry less about gallons of the tank and more about CFM of the pump. Putting a big tank on a small compressor is like putting an 80 gallon gas tank on a Chevette. It will still be slow. But, if you put a 427 in it, it will be fast no matter what size the gas tank is.

8. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
  9. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    doesn't a larger tank give the compressed air a chance to cool some before entering the line?

10. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    BTW, I ended up getting a Quincy compressor. It has served me very well and is made in the US, fwiw. I would at least give them a look.