Underhood plastic

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Jeep43, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Any tips for revitalizing underhood black plastic? In particular the fan shroud, steering box cover and cowl screen. Mine are clean but oxidized. If I hit them with some parts cleaner (mineral spirits) they look great until they dry. I don't want to just "lube them up", I want a permanent treatment.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    You could hit them with some clear coat. I don't like the armor all goo. Stuff sticks to it and looks crappy.

3. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Mirror Glaze plexi cleaner. All I use on plastic parts.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Something to experiment with. Used this on bike and four wheeler plastics. Brite floor wax or similar stuff. Have to get the plastic super clean, Purple Power or something like that, just pour some of the wax on a rag and wipe it on. Sometimes a miracle, sometimes not so much. Might be surprised.

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    The worry about clearing them is the paint would sit on top of the oxidized plastic and not penetrate and richen the color like the solvent does. I suppose I could try it and rinse off with laquer thinner if I dont like it.

Is the Mirror glaze cleaner some sort of treatment or is it just a cleaner?

6. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Yep. Just clean and use plexi cleaner. Great on the interior plastic.
    It's a plastic cleaner. Anti static too.
    The shop I worked at #1 and # 2 was laying around everywhere. The 2 is good to clean up plastic chrome, I use it on my grill edges, tail lights. Stuff like that. (I have a Bird)
    I've shined up many 79 up wheel center caps that are the chrome plasti type.

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I did apply a paint to them. I used SEM plastic paint on everything plastic, including the dash parts and fan shroud. Works great.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Blown Camaro likes this.
  8. 67johnny

67johnny Member

Apr 14, 2016
    vancouver
    I went with the SEM paint as well.
    Was nice to just do it once and not worry about anything like coolant or fuel causing a finish issue.
    Sticks like $hit to a blanket if you prep it as per instructions.

9. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Auburn, WA