underground airline

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 1971SS, Sep 25, 2013.

  1. BonzoHansen

    BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

    are you looking to run a line to the house or just outside the garage like a water spigot?

    just a thought....i have a small i/r 'pancake' compressor for in house jobs. you can usually find deals on them somewhere. might be less trouble and the cost difference might not be so great once you add up all the additional parts.

    i also have an 80g i/r in the garage.
  2. l16pilot

    l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Not sure about your area, but any low part of an airline is where condensed water will collect....both concerns for 1) potential to freeze and 2) running water through air tools....or even into tires when inflating. Water separators help, but won't eliminate it.
  3. 351maverick

    351maverick Veteran Member

    Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    the longer the span the more pressure drop - how far is the run?

    I like the idea of a $100 pancake compreessor at the point of use
  4. 1971SS

    1971SS Veteran Member

    Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    yeah, going to the house. Coming up through the floor were the air handler is.

    I've had two pancake compressors. One stayed out for repair way too much, I gave it away after the forth trip. The last was too noisey for me...gave that one away too...
  5. 1971SS

    1971SS Veteran Member

    Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    yup, got that covered as much as possiable. Line will be buried 12"s or so...we very seldom see the top inch or so of soil freeze, like every three years or so. And, I have a nice dryer/filtration system that will be moved to the new shop inwhich the house supply will tap off of. Will also install a smaller dryer/filtration system on the house side...
  6. 1971SS

    1971SS Veteran Member

    Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    100'...I've got plenty compressor...
  7. CorkyE

    CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Unless you dead set on running a pipe, I think the small compressor when needed idea is a lot more practical. Just my .02 worth.
  8. sprink

    sprink Veteran Member

    Apr 27, 2008
    ffx, va
    PVC sleeve w/ pressure type couplings (sockets are deeper & less chance of break/come apart) w/ long turn type fittings. 2" is snug. 3 or 4" you can pull through easier later.
    I'd use copper or nylon.
    May want to look into pex pipe. It won't burst & comes in a roll also.
    Steel/galv will rust.
    Separate valve the line so you can isolate it if you need to.
  9. ol' grouch

    ol' grouch Veteran Member

    Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I thought about it but ran a hose along the rafters instead. It's only 5 feet from the garage to the house anyway so I just run a hose. With the hose in the rafters, it can hang where ever I need air. I use some short sections of PVC pipe to run the hose through and hold the pipe up with zip ties. They were pinching the hose shut before I put pipe over them.

Share This Page