underground airline

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 1971SS, Sep 25, 2013.

1. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    Getting a slab poured Friday for a new shop. The thought come to me to run an underground airline back to the house. Seems I'm always needing air at the house for different things like nailers, etc. What's a cost effective type of pipe or tubing for such? Folks at Lowes just couldn't come up with a answer. Not sure about PVC. How about that blue airline tubing? Thoughts? Thanks...

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Maybe encase the airline inside a larger pvc tube? That way you can replace it in the future if it leaks.

The one thing I wish I had put in my garage foundation was a 3 inch capped pvc entry for outside feeds.

3. Z27LS3

Z27LS3 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2007
    wyoming
    why not just plain steel pipe ? you can always cap off when not in use and make a adapter fitting to connect air when needed. I had to assemble an air fitting / steel pipe manifold in last house to connect high PSI air every fall to blow out the in ground water sprinkler system, I think It had 12+ stations. it was a bit of work the first year. but after that it was a piece of cake to hook up the air and operate & blow out the the system with air.
    I also like the capped pvc entry for outside feed idea, you never know when it might be needed.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

how far away is the house?

underground is hard to repair.

5. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    I'd have to agree with running pvc, and then an airline through that pvc. It would make repairs alot easier. I saw the title undergorund airline and I immediatly thought of some blackmarket plane/airline system haha.

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Bunker Hill, IL
    I think i would do like 75camaro4x4 is saying run pvc pipe all the way and then pull in some nylon tubing air line so if it starts leeking you could hook a new peice up and pull it in with the old.

7. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    not a bad idea!

8. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    salty soil...live on a salt water river...buried steel/iron won't last long...

9. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1-1/2" pvc conduit with 'sweeps'; pull a hose in as suggested.

Me too, I instantly wondered to myself how much for tickets to Hawaii and will I still have to deal with the TSA? :crazy:

10. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    maybe air line would've helped...:confused: