undercoat removal

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 70-SS/RS-L78, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    Psychohamster that sounds like a plan, I am going to get the car out to the driveway though. I don't need that mess in the garage. At the rate I am going now I will be doing this till next year. There has to be at least 5 coats of this muck on the undercarriage. They even coated the rear and fuel/brake lines. I am ready to recruit one of them guys standing on the side of the road with the “will work for food” signs

2. Psychohamster

Psychohamster Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Redwood City, CA. USA
    Taking out the gas tank is a big help also.

3. MAP79Z28

MAP79Z28 Veteran Member

May 2, 2003
    Pittsford, NY USA
    I must admit I have never tried kerosene. My impression with any solvent is that there is always some residue that remains behind. And you have to content with that odor. Not to mention the fire hazard. The stripeze that I mentioned about is in a gel so you can slop it around and it stays put. At the end you can wash it off with detergent and water and you're done. That washes away most of the residues that otherwise would remain in the nooks and crannies. If you collect it all underneath like I mentioned, you can do the work in your garage and you wont have to go outside. Once you scrape away most of the undercoating to begin with, the rest is getting down to the bare metal. I think that one thing we all agree on is that it is a messy job. But once done, it's done! And if you POR it, you wont have to do it again.

4. BLAZER87

BLAZER87 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2000
    hamilton,Oh,USA
    I'm in this process right now also. I was just going to clean it off for now and paint over it until I could do it later. Well years of a leaky motor I guess soften alot of the undercoating and I used a little puty knife and scrape about half of it off prety easily. I used low odor mineral spirits to soften mine, not as bad of a smell. This is definitely the worse job yet!!!

5. Psychohamster

Psychohamster Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Redwood City, CA. USA
    Not true, based on the fact that water is also a solvent.

6. fvdillon

fvdillon Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Crete,IL
    I removed the undercoating from my 72 RS. I used the kerosene method. It worked fanstasic! I tried the steamcleaner didn't work that great, got just as much off with my own pressure washer. But the kerosene did a good job, could scrape most of it off with a razor knife. Wish I would have done this way a couple of years ago when I did my other car. Thanks for the trick guys. Jim

7. WildBillyT

WildBillyT Veteran Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Raritan NJ
    I used a heat gun to heat the stuff, and then a putty knife to scrape. Then I wiped off what was left with a kerosene soaked rag.

8. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    I tried soaking it with about everything. The most softening I found came from brake fluid. I used a heat gun as well, if you get the stuff hot enough it will almost fall off in big chunks. Finally, I used a wire brush wheel on my die grinder and got it REALLY clean. Good luck, it is a tough, dirty job, but it is part of any resto or good restification.

9. mycamaros

mycamaros Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2001
    East Palestine,Oh
    Try easyoff oven cleaner

10. mblaine1

mblaine1 Veteran Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Littleton, CO
    As I read these posts I think about the disposal of all this gunk that I'd be removing. What do you do with it? Even if you catch it in a large flat container (great idea!) then what, you can't throw it in the trash, can you?