undercoat removal

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 70-SS/RS-L78, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    HELP!!
    There has to be a better way to remove all this freaking undercoating from this car.
    I'm open to any and all suggestions.
    "What a mess" I want to paint the underbody but I look like a coal miner after laying under this car and trying to scrape it.

2. Major Dad

Major Dad Guest

Use Kerosine. It'll cut the petroleum based goop right off.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Kerosene works ok, little slow, but just keep brushing it on and it will do the job. Used a propane torch and a scraper too, works pretty good when you can get to the area.

4. archemedes

archemedes Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Saraland AL,USA
    just be carefull with the kerosene and torch or you won't need to scrape anything

------------------
    Yahoo messenger ID archemedes74 feel free to add me
    Give blood play hockey!

5. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Hesperia, CA, USA
    As a High School student, my friend set the passenger seat of his parent's car on fire because he used an arc welder for an instant on a 30-second fix, metal shop muffler project. The heat from an arc welder may be different, but a flammable upholstery in the interior is the same.

6. MAP79Z28

MAP79Z28 Veteran Member

May 2, 2003
    Pittsford, NY USA
    This is something that I am doing right now. I am cleaning up my engine compartment, and with everything off, I am taking the opportunity to remove undercoating and lots of dirt and oil from my subframe and then painting it with POR. It is a truly messy job, no doubt about that. Here is what I do to minimize mess, and do it quickly and cheaply. Get a putty knife and scrape off the undercoating as much as you can and get down to the metal. Dump the stuff as quickly as you get it off, otherwise you'll get it on the bottom of your shoes and track it everywhere. Track into your house, and you'll catch hell for it. Then I use Stripeze, a water soluble paint stripper. Any of the water soluble strippers should work, but I like Stripeze best. I put some in an empty baby food jar and use a small paint brush. Get those cheap 1.5" horse hair brushes at Home Depot. The first couple of coats I wipe off with old rags or paper towels. By this time you should be seeing bright shiney metal (at least in spots). After applying the third coat of stripper, I hand wire brush the area. Then I mist a coating of water and apply liquid laundry detergent using another paint brush (3" horsehair). Then I spray water liberally until clean using a spray water bottle. I use a large flat container (clothing container for fitting under a bed) to catch all the water as it drips. Then you are ready to treat with POR products or you can eat off it if you prefer. I usually have to repeat the process one more time after the treated area dries, but that is usually it. Let me know how you make out. Good Luck!! [​IMG]

7. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    This truly is a mess. I am trying to get as much off as possible with a scraper, I tryed the kerosine on a spot that I had scraped and it works pretty good.. Smells like hell though. BTW, MAP79Z28 I got the carpets already.

[This message has been edited by 70-SS/RS-L78 (edited September 19, 2003).]

8. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    My car was a Cali car originally and for some reason had undercoating 1/2" thick. I used a cup shaped twisted wire thing on my angle grinder. Works great, but messy as hell. Just one of those jobs that you gotta do though. The results are worth it.
    Make sure you wear all the gear, goggles ,hat, coveralls (paper so you can toss 'em) gloves and a mask.

------------------
    73RS/LT/427

9. Psychohamster

Psychohamster Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Redwood City, CA. USA
    Get a cheapy 1/2 or 1 gallon pressurized garden insecticide sprayer (about $15). Fill it with kerosene (even diesel works). Let it soak in for a day or two. Rent a true steam cleaner (not a pressure washer). The crud will come flying off like chunky expresso, sometimes to bare metal and you don't even get your hands dirty once. Just make sure you can get the car up high enough to lay on a creeper and spray the whole underbody from every direction.

10. speedfreak

speedfreak Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Toronto,Ont.Canada
    Will kerosene or diesal do any damage to the rubber bushings or brake flex lines,rubber fuel lines?

------------------
    Drive it like you stole it.