Under hood clearance

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 71BigBlock, Nov 5, 2017.

1. 71BigBlock

71BigBlock New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here has any information on the under hood clearance on a 71 Camaro.
    I've read that the Edelbrock RPM performer and Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold won't fit under the standard hood. I've also found it hard to find any information on manifold, carb, air filter combination that will fit on a 71 396 big block with a cowl hood. The cowl hood that is fitted has a clearance at the front of 1.5" and a clearance of 2.5" at the rear (Difference between inside of hood and underside of cowl).

Does anybody have any information on a suitable manifold, carb, airfilter combination that will fit a 71 396 big block with a cowl hood? (or gone through a similar situation)

Cheers,
    Matt

2. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Was yours factory equipped with BBC? If not you will pick up hood clearance by getting the correct (available in repop) BBC engine towers (frame side). These towers were used on both 396 options as well as the Z/28. 375HP/396’s were equipped with high rise aluminum intakes and they cleared factory hood lines.