UMI's Newest Test Vehicle- 1971 Camaro, Pro-touring Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by UMI Performance, Jan 12, 2017.

1. UMI Performance

UMI Performance Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor

Apr 11, 2015
    Philipsburg, PA
    We actually had a bunch of stuff come out end of last year, including a few different front a-arm options. Our race style with the fancy coilover removeable mounts are completed as well and ready but the official release hasn't been completed yet. Let us know what questions you may have... we are happy to help!

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=340

2. StLDave

StLDave Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St Louis
    Killer build!

I will tell you, I thought the original stance of this car was just amazing. Tire fit and width all looked great. This was all on stock suspension? What were the tire and wheel sizes and offsets?

You had indicated you were going to replace the existing rear spring mounts, I figured this was the spring pocket you were redoing, but it looks more like a tube frame back half? My body is rusty in the pocket area under the rear seat, always looking for a good solution to use to fix it.

Will keep watching, thanks for the posts.

3. UMI Performance

Apr 11, 2015
    Philipsburg, PA
    Thanks for looking!

The factory springs were at a nice height but that is because they were worn out and sagging, so good look terrible performance. The Weld wheels we used for sample photos had a 5.6" back spacing and were 18" wheels.

We are working on building replacement rear springs mounts that bolt into the factory location and mimic the Herb Adam's mod. We are keeping factory location on those items on our car. The boxed frame rails are in the factory location as well, we did minitub the car and will be building some sheet metal panels. But we are leaving stock location mounts so customers with frames in good shape can still use the same products :)

Stay tuned for more.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You guys do nice clean work,And it nice to see more parts coming out for second gens, .Because when there I started playing cars there wasn`t, Other than the Vette Brakes 1984 Corvette adjustable kit I have on my car.You had pick up parts from here or there.Or fabricate your own, Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

5. UMI Performance

Apr 11, 2015
    Philipsburg, PA
    Finally a little work completed on the project. We are prepping the Currie rear end to go in and building the correct mounts to maintain leaf springs. We are also fabricating LS motor mounts in both solid and polyurethane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 3ylies

3ylies New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Looking good but I didn't realize just about the whole floor under the car and trunk floor had to come out to do this project my understanding just the back wheel wells in the back seat floors at two spots had to be cut that's it then they make a set up kit already direct and they make extensions to tie in for a full frame rite?

7. djgriff

djgriff Member

May 9, 2009
    van nuys , CA
    very nice work and i also am glad of more new parts from another vendor for our 2nd gens, are you going to install(weld or bolt any type of subframe connectors or just using the cage to do that job ?

8. Busy Bee

Busy Bee New Member

Aug 19, 2017
    This is looking really good, I will be following this build and asking g extensive questions. I am getting ready to start on my 72 and want it set up specific for road race, ralley racing and canyon racing. I am building this car as a tribute and it will be donated afterwards. Ryan (UMI) if you'd be willing to contact me directly and I would like to explain what I am trying to accomplish in a short time. You seem to know what's going on with these cars as well. Thanks.

9. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    Surprised you didn't go to coil overs in the back after all that !

10. franks70camaro

franks70camaro Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2009
    fayetteville nc
    awesome work guys you do excellent work and your products are awesome as well ill definatley be fallowing this thread