Two 10's in custom box in trunk help please.

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by mjoc, Jul 6, 2016.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I want to build a box to hold two JL 10W3v3-4. It would ideally be mounted in the space between and under the 6x9's hopefully not too much into the trunk.
    ANYONE DONE ANYTHING CLOSE TO THIS.
    PLEASE PLEASE Help.

Michael

2. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA
    The specs for that sub say to make the box .625 cubic feet in a box that's 18" x 11" x 9". It'll be a challenge to get two boxes like that in the trunk of our cars.... Let's face it... our trunks are TINY!! :)

Another option would be to corner load them into the rear quarters facing forward. Biggest challenge there is the subs cancelling each other out or having a standing wave where the trunk cancels out the bass, but it's doable. What kind of output are you looking for?

3. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Looks like I will be taking the 6x9's out and then the Sub box the size JL requires will fit perfect under the rear deck. I will then mount a set of focal 4 or 5 inch coaxial since I just need then for mids and highs....

I will post pics of install when I get a chance to start building the system..

Michael

4. Phil Joseph

Phil Joseph New Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Looking at your post..well your probably installed your subs by now Lol! So how did the install go? I been installing,making boxes,custom installs also and went to school for this as soon as i graduated,.anyhoo..1 thing that popped in my mind when i read this.."Free Air". Remove your back seat,measure and custom fit a speaker board that holds your 2 10's,line and seal your trunk with dampening material(no air leaks,and your trunk won't rattle)..and Wellah! Just an experience thought..oh and you can bolt your backseat where it was.

5. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I did get it finished the box is in so are the focal 5 inch speakers. I have the amps in and the passover installed but I got really bad "static noise" coming from the speakers. I put the project on hold for a while, I got side tracked because my other car a 1967 Buick GS400 Convertible needs to have some work done and I'm on a time frame to get it to the body shop..

Michael