turtle wax scratch/swirl remover?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by cgibsong002, May 30, 2012.

1. cgibsong002

cgibsong002 Veteran Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking to do my car right for the first time. Got my '78 painted 3 years ago but have never done any more than wash it. It's been garage kept and out of weather, though, so its still fine aside from some swirling from crappy wash jobs.

I've got the turtle wax scratch/swirl remover, good car wash w/o wax, and the meguiar's nxt 2.0 to finish it off.

2 questions.

1- I had originally planned on getting the meguiars 9 swirl remover, but got the turtle wax brand as a present. Has anyone used this? I previously tried a turtle brand polish in a small area and it made swirl much worse. So I want to know if this stuff is good or not.

2- Should I clay bar? I want to do a good job that will last a while. It hasn't been in elements that should necessitate this, but should I do it anyway if this is the first time I'll be doing a real polish/wax?

2. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I have never used the Turtle Wax swirl remover.

I have used Meguiars 205 which is equal in cut to their #9 with great results.

Yes, clay before you polish. It will remove any impurities leaving a smooth clean finish to polish.

Your success will also be based on the tools you use. What are you going to apply and work the #9 with?

Here is a good chart that shows the aggressiveness of several different products.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart800.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    If you're doing this by hand.... Use a 100% cotton terry cloth towel.
    Polyester is harder than paint and it will scratch

4. Noah_Seward

Noah_Seward Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Clay bar, and i like meguiars ultimate compound for polishing then follow up with a good wax

5. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm doing this by hand. I bought some of those little round microfiber applicators.

Can I clay using the meguiars quick detailer?

And I just looked at that chart posted. If I've never done this before, am I better off with a less abrasive product like the #9 or swirlX?

And just to make sure I've got the steps rights.

Wash, dry.
    Clay
    Swirl remover
    Nxt 2.0 (polish and wax)

do I need to rewash or wipe down or anything in between each of those steps? (after claying, swirl remover)

Also, it sounds lazy, but honest question. I can't for the life of me see swirl marks in the main body, silver paint. It's the two black stripes that I see swirls in. Should I bother using the swirl remover on the entire car?

6. David79Z28

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Yes. Use the detailer for a clay lube.

Always try to use the least aggressive material to get the job done.

The swirls are probably there. The just wont show up as well on silver. You could always mask the edge around the stripes and just do them. No sense in removing paint if it's not needed and you are satisfied with the end result.

If you are doing it by hand have you thought about using an all in one product like Meguairs cleaner wax?

You could also use a glaze and top it with a wax. The glaze will fill in the swirls, not remove them. It should hold up well since your car stays out of the elements. The glaze will disappear as the wax deteriorates. It will last a long time if you car isn't in the elements or washed much. You can always add a spray wax after you wash to replace the wax that has deteriorated.

Wash, dry, clay, polish (Glaze if you want), wax.

I don't re wash between steps. I simply spray the panel down with detail spray and wipe it off to remove any polishing material that might be left.

7. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ok so last night I washed the car real well and put it in the garage and covered it. I'm going to clay and possibly clean it today. Since it sat under the cover, should I wipe it down with something before claying it? I don't want to scratch it up.

Also I found an orbital to use for the cleaning and wax. Any tips? The guy I'm borrowing it from told me its quite easy.

8. David79Z28

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
  9. cgibsong002

Jun 29, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ok so I just got done as much claying as I could before it got dark. Finished basically the whole top of the car. It really is simple. I also think my car has been kept pretty clean.. there was very minimal resistance on the clay.

As for my next steps, he gave me two foam circular pads to use with the orbital. This guy is pretty crazy with how he keeps his cars, so I trust that they should be good. I couldn't find any #9 at the store today, so tomorrow I'm going to give the TW a try on a small spot and hope it works. As long as it isn't too abrasive I don't see it being an issue with how good my paint should be already.

10. David79Z28

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    That combo should work just fine.

Post some before and after pictures when your done.