Turn signal won't return after making a turn

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Lynd McCormick, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I've pulled my steering wheel and confirmed that the little springs are not broken. If I flip the turn signal lever 1/2 way in either direction, it springs back. Nothing looks broken, but it doesn't return. Not sure if it never returns or just sometimes returns. I can't see what actually causes the linkage to initiate a return. The car was restored just 1200 miles ago and everything looks proper.

Second question, the turn signal guts are pretty cheap. Is there any more to it than disconnecting the connector at the bottom, removing the emergency flasher button, removing the 3 Phillips screws, and pulling it out? How hard is it to get a new harness down the column!

2. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    UPDATE, I now see how the turn signal resets via the tabs on the plastic horn ring. I see that everything in my column is new except for the horn ring but it looks fine. I cleaned everything up and lubed the mechanism. It really feels tight but it seems to reset OK when I manually cause it to reset. I'm going to put it back together and try it but man, it's a bugger to try and depress that spring back. I'm going to have to buy or borrow a tool to get it back depressed and get the snap ring back on.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Replacing the turn signal switch is just as you described. Just have to take your time fishing the wires back down the column. I usually tie some wire to the connector before pulling it out to ease installing the new connector down the column.

4. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    I am having the same problems with my 70. Interested in seeing how this works out!

5. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    It's not a bad job feeding the new turn signal harness thru the column. Like Green Hornet said when you remove the old harness connect a string wire or strong string to the old connector when you remove the old unit. they make a special tool for removing the lock ring from the column. Autozone has it.
    [​IMG]

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Do they rent it out? I used to just get a deep well socket that is close to the size of the little snap ring. Slide it down over the ring on the shaft an while holding the socket, Give it a rap with a hammer and boom it goes in place. The tool makes it nice but when you need to get it done fast..... I keep some pressure on the plate while holding the socket BTW.

Jimmac likes this.
  7. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    It's part of their rent a tool program. Makes it real easy remove

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
  9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That is cheap. I used to get in to that stuff a lot years ago. Never had a tool. That is worth buying just to have.