Turn signal ON in front, not working in Back

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Primus, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Primus

Primus New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Hey Guys,
    just got a small new problem.
    I Cleaned and restored all lights back and front. So far so good.
    I just put everything together and tried to Blink. It worked perfectly on passengerside but driverside is strange. The front is always on when I set the signal, back is off. That goes for the outer light that is always on (dont know what it is called) as well. Works on passenger, doesnt work on driver. Just to make it clear: The turn signal was blinking REALLY slowly before on driverside and normal on the other. Relay? Ground? If Ground: Where is it located?
    Brakelights, Normal Driving light and Reverse is working just fine.
    Would be great if you could help me.
    All the best and thank you in advance

Max

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    There are no relays on these cars to cause problems. Only new vehicles are so afflicted.
    If you took the lights out and worked on them, start there. Depending on year, the ground might be a wire, but just as likely it is the screws that mount the light to the body. If any of these screws has corrosion and fails to contact the body correctly.
    Also, check everything else you touched when working on it. Many problems like this are caused by the "restorer' not getting things quite right. Check the bulbs. You have to have the correct bulbs, and they have to be installed in the sockets correctly and securely.
    Since the problem got worse by working on it, the problem is where you worked. Slow blinking says high resistance in the circuit, likely caused by a poor connection. No blinking says that high resistance connection is now gone completely.

3. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Georgia
    When the electronics are doing crazy things, a bad ground is the likely suspect.

4. kennyzr2

kennyzr2 New Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Replace the socket that bulb goes into.

5. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Check all the grounds, then check them again. Move some bulbs around too, I have had bulbs that looked good give me fits in the past

6. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Check the connector in the trunk