Turbo experts needed, work truck & racecar

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by mrdragster1970, Oct 11, 2017.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Posted on another forum and not getting the knowledge I expected.
    I just want to throw a turbo on, basic nothing fancy.
    If it's harder than I'm hoping, so be it, but don't tell me put a cummings in it, or rebuild the entire car around a SBC fuel injected 3000 HP monster.
    I don't want to cut off the front of my car, and I don't want to do a cummings swap!!!!!!!!!

Work truck under powered, we think the builder killed all the compression with wrong pistons??
    ~12,000-14,000 lbs depending on the project, 360 SBD, fairly fresh, under 10,000 miles.
    Have been thinking of adding a small turbo & blow through, but retired young, and didn't bother.
    Thinking about storm chasing, hurricanes, tornado's etc, they are throwing decent money at me to un-retire, but truck is not up to all the traveling as is.
    Just need better power to move all the weight without the stress & over heating issues.

What turbo and blow through should I be looking at???

2nd project.
    With all the N2O drama going on, and that team owner that passed away, I've wanted to get rid of the bottles anyway.
    Wanted to just get a big inch deal, but a buddy keeps bugging me to just throw a turbo on it, since it's already here, fits the car & paid for???
    Pistons were melted last pass anyway, so now is the perfect time to swap.

582" BBC, Profiler 430's.
    Very mild combo only, not looking for 3000 HP, ~1600 HP for a fast bracket, waste money only combination.

Not interested in learning the latest & greatest combination.
    Basic turbo & blow through, already have a MSD 8 plus.
    Would love to run ethanol, but only have a 2 gallon cell, and do not want to change the car if possible???

Thanks Guys.

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    For the mopar, I don't know of any turbo headers that would bolt on. Given that its a truck and you need more instant torque, have you considered a Procharger? Less pipes and simpler install. A P1SC or, at a maximum, D1SC would fill the bill nicely. Use a carb hat and 750 or so blow through carb. I'd take timing out, possibly even lock out the advance and start at 18 degrees. For the BBC, its much easier. Those profilers move a TON of air. A single 88mm big frame turbo on low boost would really make it fun. You probably don't need much more since you're going hot air without an intercooler. The ethanol can be an issue, since you have to burn more of it to get the air fuel ratio right, a 2 gallon cell is not enough. If you run low and lean out under boost you will only need a set of pistons if you're lucky. C16 and 5-6 lbs will be plenty of fun. Remember boost pressure is a relative number, as it is airflow that isn't making it to the combustion chamber. I could go really in depth but I'm not feeling like typing a novel on here right now. PM me a phone number and I'll give you a call when you have a couple of hours to kill.

3. mrdragster1970

We were thinking just flip the manifolds, and not worry about a little lost power on the truck.

For the car, some guy is claiming he's driving to & from the line and uses less than a gallon.
    That's when I knew I wasn't getting anything useful???
    How in the heck can I use almost a gallon towing up & back now with 118 fuel with less HP,
    and he's using the same at 1600 HP on ethanol????

I would love to learn, I'll send a number.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I was thinking Procharger too for your truck. Power off idle would be helpful getting the weight moving without having to spool up and wait for boost to build. Plus the turbo may be kind of peaky and the procharger should make the power more linear.

5. mrdragster1970

The problem with a blower is it needs a belt, and it's a 1973 engine in a 1988 truck.
    I really don't want to re work all that crap again.
    It already has a new big ass aluminum racing radiator added and there's not much room.
    If we do this, it needs to be quick, flip the manifolds, add new carb and weld up the tubes and get back to work hopefully.
    All my diesels have a turbo, and it works fine with up to 20,000 lbs, so I was hoping this would be an easy fix.
    If it's not as easy as we think, then the plan is to either grab a new diesel rig that's ready to go,
    or get a diesel cab & chassis and switch one truck at a time and use this truck while the other rig is swapped, then swap this one.
    I just really don't want 3 bucket trucks when I already have these 2 taking up space.

Thanks for the replies :)

6. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    The truck has a fairly fresh engine that's not making the power you think it should? I'd want to find out why, not just turbocharge it. If it turns out that it really does have a low static compression ratio then boost might be a good fix but just cobbling a turbocharger or two on an unknown engine that's under-performing doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

What's the current setup on the race car? What's it putting out for power?

7. mrdragster1970

We did everything we could to the truck, it runs great, smooth, just weak as frick and over heats under the load of all that weight.
    The guy that built it is a chevy guy, and my crew chief did some checking,
    and it sounds like the guy didn't realize how big the chambers are on my heads???
    That's why he thought of throw a turbo on there.

The car has a 582" with 1100-1200 HP and 3 stages of N2O for a total of 1400-1900 HP possible.
    The problem is the N2O plant that blew up made getting N2O horrible, and I don't want to spend a ton of dough getting the car put back together and run slow. If it won;t run 6.90 or quicker, I'm not racing.
    I'm actually thinking about buying a new crank, making it a 522" and throwing a small Pro-Charger on there???
    It's just real tight in front because the oil tank is where the blower would go??
    A turbo is smaller and doesn't need to be near the crank.