Tubes or not

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by muscl car, Oct 31, 2017.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you don't need them, why waste the money, weight, mounting issues etc etc.

If I use my wheel shades, my stuff stays pretty stable after the 1st or 2nd run also.
    KISS, not needed, KISS.

2. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    Wheel Shades.....spoken like a true high dollar racer ;)

muscl car likes this.
  3. mrdragster1970

Looks who talking rich boy!!!!

What do you have in your car, truck & trailer???
    $200,000-300,000???

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOL !!!!

Should I let Mattie know about my new $$ engine:rolleyes:;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Zstar and vegas1974z28 like this.
  5. mrdragster1970

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I wasn't saying anything, waiting for the 1st installation photo to be posted!!!!

Zstar likes this.
  6. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    LOL my truck is worth about $14
    the trailer 3k
    the racecar.....100k(that's just engines in the past decade)

7. mrdragster1970

So, you finally admit it, you're a rich boy!!!!!!!!!!
    For that 100 grand, you should have just bought a P/S engine!!!!!

muscl car likes this.
  8. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Stevens, PA USA
    I have never run tubes. I'm running 28 X 10.5 Hoosier slicks and never had a issue. My old et streets would lose air after a few months and go flat if I didn't top them off during storage but the Hoosiers I leave alone.

muscl car likes this.
  9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    The only reason I choose to not run tubes is, if the tire rotates on the bead, and the tube does not rotate on the tire, the valve stem rips out of the tube. Had it happen with some M&H Racemasters. I used baby powder on the tube the next time and it still happened. Since then, the M&H tires, Hoosiers and the current ET Streets have had no significant leaking without tubes. I will never run them again.

I guess if you have bead locks, the tire will not ever move significantly. I did not want to drill my wheels for a street/strip purposed car. I do not know if the bolts would kill tubes as well. Probably would have to buy proper bead locks.

10. mrdragster1970

I still say it is worth dealing with a slow leak instead of having those stupid tubes!!!!
    If you don't store your car at home, than stick a stand or block under the car so you don't ruin your tire when they go flat.

The screws do not reach the tubes, I ran tubes for years with screws and never had an issue.
    My issue was the mounting issue. When you made as many passes a season I did, I had to replace slices often.
    It was a pain in the ass, plus when you don't have a lot of patients why bother with a modern slick they are not needed.

The slick doesn't move a mm with bead locks, they have a bunch of bolts clamping that ring, it's not moving!!!
    The only reason I have bead locks now instead of screws is they made me.
    I have no issue with screws, but when you run 200 mph they kick you out if you have screws!!!!

I know some guys use a little bit of high tack that don't want screws, it seems to work for slower cars,
    but when you have very little pressure I'm not sure how that works??