Trying to find a GM part number!

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Budboy, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Budboy

Budboy New Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Jasper, Georgia
    I have a stainless steel interior door panel part to identify. I have searched everything, but since I have the actual part, it know it exists. It is chromed about 4' long, 1/2" wide, and came off the drivers side door panel just below the arm rest on a 78 Camaro. Was not one on the passenger side. Most trim like this is chrome tape covered plastic strips. Their are actual clip pins on the back, about 20, that attach it to the door panel. The inside of the door panel, original oem, had slots for those tabs. This part may have been an luxury add on and may be extremely rare. Can't seem to add a picture to this. Any info would be helpful as I am baffled.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The 79-81 deluxe door panel trim is higher up on the door and plated steel.
    (I always thought it was stainless steel but a magnet sticks to it.)

upload_2018-1-7_9-18-9.png
    You might find a number here... http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=93557
    (I doubt it is available from GM any longer.)

Budboy likes this.
  3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Budboy likes this.
  4. Budboy

Budboy New Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Jasper, Georgia
    Thank You very much for your help!
    Bob

5. Budboy

Budboy New Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Jasper, Georgia
  6. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Certain types of stainless steel are magnetic. People are under the impression that all stainless steel is non-magnetic.. NOT true.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    So.... My initial impression may be correct as far as material goes. (stainless)
    There are a few scratches in that trim piece but it never peeled, flaked or showed any sign of oxidation in the scratches.

8. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Yes the trim is most likely stainless, just depends on what type.
    The material content & manufacturing process of the stainless steel will determine the amount magnetism. Some types are more magnetic than others and some types not at all. Generally the less magnetic it is the more resistant it is to corrosion.

Lot's of info on the internet about types of stainless steel but you need to be chemical engineer to understand it all. Some types will even change state when you bend it.