Trunk Strut install Pics inside

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 73Camaro383, Mar 23, 2011.

1. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Same with mine.

[youtube]5nKLoDdpoOo[/youtube]

2. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Waskom, TX
    So, this is where this stands? Has anyone perfected this? So that the trunk opens to its full position? Part numbers for the ball ends?

Lots of info in this thread, some just seems outdated.

(BTW, I replaced my torsion bars with new ones...one large and one small, and still the trunk lid doesn't stay up. And yes, they are in the upper slot position).

3. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Pensacola Florida
    I did mine and no, the trunk doesn't open all the way but it's good enough for anything I might want in my trunk. Install was easy but I used a strut with more pressure and it's REALLY tight to close it. I'll order the correct one some day when I slow down and think about it! For now, my trunk opens when I turn the key and stays open all day if I desire without hitting me in the head when I try to look inside.

4. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Waskom, TX
    Thanks for the response. I just figured by now someone may have fully "engineered" this mod, and perhaps even had a "kit" available. But looks like we'll all have to wing it. I may give it a try down the road, but until then, I may use the 3/4 PVC bushing idea, because that is better than the stick I use now.

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I'm giving some thought to going with a powered open/close system, kind of like what my wife's GMC Acadia has. I'm getting used to just pushing a button and have it open/close!

6. clay's70

7. 73LT1M6

73LT1M6 Veteran Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Pocono Mts. Pennsylvania
    does anyone have the measurements for the location of the brackets? .. im getting tired of my trunk not staying open .. my car is painted and done, so i want to make sure that when I drill, I am in the right spot :)

thanks to all involved in making this work .. I know I am a little late on this thread, but I have been getting back to my project after a long time away from it ...

Brad

8. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    did you see the PVC fitting ? i would never drill a non factory hole for that .

9. FIREDUP71

FIREDUP71 Veteran Member

Dec 21, 2006
    CONNECTICUT
    OK, I know this thread has been beat to death a little but before I drill my finished lid I just want to throw this out there. Has anyone who has done this mod had any issues with the self tapping screws on the lid loosening up or the holes stretching due to the the stress of supporting the strut??

10. clay's70

Mine never did. Not sure if others had the problem.