trunk pan install

Discussion in 'Ground Up' started by Revin, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    Hi guys new member here.:bowtie:
    I need to weld in a new trunk pan into my 73'
    I got the pan and have an Idea on the install, just never have done it and my welding skills kinda suck.

So any help or advice on this project?
    I have a Lincoln mig with or with out gas.

Can I tack weld then fiberglass it the rest of the way?

2. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    not a great idea, but not too difficult to do right either. once you set the pan in place and positioned properly, put a few self tapping screws through the pan into the frame rails. use a sharpie to mark the edges of the frame from below and take it back out. drill holes along the lines of the markings (5/16 is a good size) then grind the frame rails and pan mating surfaces followed by weld thru primer. re install the pan with the screws again, now you can plug weld the pan in place. after cleaning up your welds with the grinder prime the seams and apply sealer to the seams- above and below. check your sealer to be sure what primer to use- most don't like self etching or lacquer primer so be careful- it will just peel off or not dry. good luck :) !

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome to the forum.

4. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    ok Thank you for the suggestions. I think the screws will help a lot.
    I am guessing I should drill holes for the welds like a factory job? What size bit should I use?

THX RS1979!!

5. mark wagner

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    yes, the plug-welded holes will replicate the spot welds. (after grinding of course) 5/16 is the size I prefer for the holes. 3/8 is too big, and 1/4 is too small for plug welding in my opinion. make sure the panels are tight to each other, and the metal is clean and devoid of paint and primer for a good weld. I used to have an old 5/16 bit that the tip was ground flat for cleaning the weld thru primer from the weld surface thru the 5/16 holes (I hope that makes sense to you)

6. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    Thx Mark and yes I got what you were saying about the 5/16.
    I will be stopping by the local home depot for some sheet metal for practice since I have not welded very good in the past and still learning how to weld on my Mig. I am hoping the 20guage sheet metal is what the trunk is made with....either way I have to practice, practice, practice

7. mark wagner

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    Good luck! and welcome to the site!

8. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    Thank you Mark!

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I would say go to a junk yard or check craig's list for some car parts like a fender or door. Take it home and practice cutting out some sections and weld them back in to get the hang of it. It doesn't matter what part you get but something with flat areas to start. Also remove the fuel tank! you don't want to go Boom...

10. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    oh yes the fuel tank (and everything else is stripped from car) :)
    Just the Hurst T-Tops remain on the car at this point.

I did plan on the front fenders to practice on, or lower valance or fender wells, or .....
    Lots of rusty things to replace. Now finding time on my side...