Trunk lock stuck

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Tank Sinatra, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I realized the other day that I've never opened the trunk, so I gave it a try just to make sure there wasn't a dead body in there or anything... Problem is the lock is completely stuck. I only have one key at the moment so I didn't try to force it and risk snapping it off. Tried spraying some penetrating lube in it and waited over night but still no luck, it's probably rusted solid. The door locks were both siezed up but with some lube and a long screwdriver I rolled the windows down and managed to wiggle them until they freed up. I don't know what to do for the trunk though... Is there any other way to get inside the trunk? The car is a '72.

2. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    Remove back seat. Get long extensions for a socket wrench. Reach through and remove the bolts that hold the upper part of the latch assembly from the trunk lid.

Tank Sinatra likes this.
  3. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Awesome! I was hoping it was something simple like that! I'll give it a try.

Maybe it was owned by a mobster and there's a suitcase of cash in there!... or more like a handful of dead mice...

4. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    More likely to find a roach clip and a bunch of seeds under the rear seat bottoms. ahahaha

5. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Seeds? Yes! Briefcase full of cash, dead hookers, animals? No... Just a bunch of boring rust, and a couple snail shells. I think my problem is the ignition and trunk have separate keys? I thought I read that somewhere, not sure if it's true but it would make sense. once I removed the two bolts and opened the trunk I was able to inspect the latch mechanism. It was a little sticky but not stuck hard o I gave it a little lube for now and it works fine. Not sure what's the deal with the lock, I removed it and it won't operate with the key, so that's why I think it's a different key. For now I'll just run without it and use a screw driver if I need to open the trunk and think of something else once I fix it up.

Thanks for all the help!

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Ignition and trunk have separate keys. You should have one with a square head for ignition and one with a round head for trunk. Usually the ignition key won't even go into the trunk lock so you know it is wrong.

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Should be the same round key as the glove box.

8. Tank Sinatra

Tank Sinatra New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I only have one key and it's definitely for the ignition so I guess that answers that question!

9. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    Take the trunk lock to a locksmith and get keys made, depending on year they'll fit doors too.

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You can take the trunk lock to a locksmith and they should be able to make a new key for you.

That key should then fit your glove box lock.
    (If they are both original to the car and still keyed the same.)