Trunk Hinge Torsion Bars

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by timmyk, Dec 16, 2009.

1. sd455ta

sd455ta New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Lenexa Kansas
    This is my second set of new OER torque rods. I thought maybe the first batch was bad but the second set is the same.

I can literally turn the rod by hand, no pipe or anything, 90 degrees and put into place with very little tension. Even in the top notch.

There is a thread where someone had same issue and there was a reply of possibly turning rods 360 degrees but wow at 180 these get tough to turn.

I've got them in the correct side, rubber sleeve in first etc.

The back window is still out but the body and paint is complete. In fact I had the torque rods in before the paint job and when I installed the trunk lid is when I found out the rods are not working! So now I'm concerned about damaging the body.

I just wish there was a definative answer!?

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Youre not twisting the thick rod by hand,lol.I have both oer ones in my car.The thick one was good,I think the skinny one took a dump on me.My trunk wont stay all the way up like it used to with the stock skinny/oer thick one.You might be installing them wrong.Double check my recipe.When you insert the small part of the rod in the barrel,the hinge should be in the upright position,as if the trunk is open.

3. sd455ta

sd455ta New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Lenexa Kansas
    Yep I sure am twisting the big rod by hand. Yes the small end is in correct and the trunk hinge does go up as if the trunk is open.

That is my point, there is no tension. I only have to turn the rod about 90 degress or less. Thats why I'm wondering if you have to turn rod 360 degrees.

With the small end in correct, the big end on passengers side is pointing down at 6 or 7 o'clock position. Not far to turn to get into notches!

I would just try (with a pipe) to turn rod 360 but man I hate for the rod to break or fly off dangerously!

I will try to post pictures.

4. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Post up some pics when you can. Im curious about this.

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    You shouldnt have to go 360,you prolly couldnt get that anyway.
    Def. post pics of your install,just before the twist.Those things are nasty the regular way,let alone trying to get 360 out of them.

6. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Harrisburg, Pa
    where is a good place to buy one of these? plan on ordering one tomorrow

7. CDesperado

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    I bought the OER ones from Classic Industries and am going to compare them to my NOS ones on Friday. I'm rather curious how different they really are.

You need both sides...
    Left side
    Right Side (I think this is the one with the Rubber sleeve on it)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  8. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    I had mine in and they were loose, basically put them in by hand, although I used a deepwell socket and extension to do it. So, with that I took them and spun them around again. Which if they were in place before, and needed to go around again it would be 360 degrees, plus whatever it took to get them there to begin with. I stopped once I saw where it was heading and grabbed safety glasses (I have already popped my eye once). I would seriously recommend a face shield and safety glasses. There is ALOT of torsion on the rods, it was a bit unnerving to do that. I don't have a trunk on yet so I can't say how it works. I will say that if mine isn't right, I'll pull them off and probably just go with a hydraulic ram setup. I've got some left over from the larger ATM machine facia's. If I do that I'd like it to open all the way up though, I'm sure it is a matter of just getting the right length and mounting it correctly.

9. CDesperado

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    I just found this, from 2005... If you go to post #14, someone mentioned using two of the larger diameter rods instead of the one thin/ one thick approach.

And here is something with a few pics on it, but these were installed incorrectly. (Based on the posts, the bent area (the short prong of the rod that points to the rear of the car) should be pointed up, not down.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  10. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Harrisburg, Pa
    think I might just put a gas strut on there instead :)