Trunk Hinge Torsion Bars

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by timmyk, Dec 16, 2009.

1. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Luton, England
    Any tips for getting them in?

Like:
    Which side first - the one with or without the rubber sleeve in the middle?
    Do you keep the rod inside the center tab while rotating, or rotate then slot it into the center tab, then the outer notches?

2. Madcow63

Madcow63 Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Toledo Ohio
    Definatly outside the slot, The one with the sleve goes first, and having someone help is probably most important. If I would have had help I'm sure I would not have broke the window. It is pretty dificult to rotate it and get it under the retaining slot by yourself.

3. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
  4. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks nice, does it interfere with anything?

5. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Do you have any part numbers and more pics of this.

6. 73Camaro383

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    I can if your intrested. I will post up the info in my other thread I made about the trunk strut. I will get some better pics and post em up. The trunk doesnt "fully" open as high as it can go. I was wanting an accessable trunk but didnt need it to go completely up. If I needed it to go up all the way all I have to do is disconnect the strut in about 2 seconds.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    No what you have look good . I would like to know more info when you get a chance.

8. 73Camaro383

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
  9. sd455ta

sd455ta New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Lenexa Kansas
    trunk torque rods

Okay I have been reading all the threads about trunk torque rods. Most are saying how to take out.

I need to install?
    I have new rods, left hand and spoiler type right hand. My old ones were rusted and broke.

My question is do you have to turn the rods 360 degrees to get the correct tension?
    When I lay them in position the big bent end is at 6 o'clock position and I can hand turn them 90 degrees to the slots with a little tension that is not enough to open or hold open the trunk lid.
    Drivers side would turn counter clockwise, to tighten (install)
    Passenger side would turn clockwise, to tighten (install)

Again do I need to turn the rods 360 degrees?

Thanks for any help!

10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    I dont think its 360.It mightve been 90 or a little more.Its been awhile since I did mine.Fat one slips into the drivers side barrel(hinge),the 90* bent end goes into the passenger side groove.Once you fit into the barrel,I beleive the rod end(part you twist),is pointing forward.You pull it back and lock it in.Ive used a 1/2" galvy pipe about 18" long for this and a flat blade screw driver to get it to jump over in place.
    I beleive the skinny rod goes in first,small bent end in the passenger barrel(hinge),larger bent end on the drivers side.You should have a rubber tube on the skinny one to stop the noises from rubbing.