Trunk Hinge Torsion Bars

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by timmyk, Dec 16, 2009.

1. timmyk

timmyk Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Mt.Vernon,In.
    Can anybody give me a good way to remove, and replace trunk hinge torsion bars? I have a broken one, and I need to remove one from my donor car to relace it with, and I'm not sure how to go about doing it safely, w/o destroying something.

2. Huyzel

Huyzel Member

I think theres a special tool to remove them.. do a search.. I could be wrong but I remember seeing something like that on this forum.

3. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    This is the first I have herd about a tool but I would like to know if a tool is needed because I need to change mine.

4. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?
    Krabben1 posted up about it a while back... said to be VERY careful as the spring has a tendency to want to spin around and crack the rear windshield. IIRC he said he used a deep socket... there might even be a write up on it here someplace.

5. timmyk

Feb 19, 2009
    Mt.Vernon,In.
    Hey everybody thanks for the input, but I couldn't find any refrence to any posts made about this, Anymore help,or suggestions?

6. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    It tells you how to do it in my Camaro Restoration Handbook.

It says to get the latch on the lowest setting to get the least torsion.

To do this it says to get a pipe, 1/4" about a foot long, slide the pipe over the end of either torque rod. Pull up on the pipe to desengage the rod from the hook. When the rod is free, guide it to the next slot, then the next one.

Then slide the spring free using the pipe.

I would wear safety glasses.:cool:

7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    This dont sound to hard.

8. timmyk

Feb 19, 2009
    Mt.Vernon,In.
    Thanks for the info. I'll try that out it sounds better than what I was going to try, probably would've lost some teeth or somethng my way. Don't have any wndws. in it to break.

9. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    If you google torque rod removal camaro restoration handbook google books may bring it up for you to read.

Here.

It was taking forever to show up...
    Good luck.

10. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    like posted above, go to your local hardware store and purchase a 1/4 inch pipe and aprox 2' long. you need to put a small bend in it about 4 " from one end. with no bend in it hits the trunk weather strip area. the long pipe allows you to have enough leverage to remove the rods, be careful not to let the pipe slip while removing the rod or you will have a broke rear window. used it numerous times with no problems