trim tag decoding

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by steins70z28, Apr 3, 2017.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Looks more like a 9 than an 8. The dot looks kind of flaky too. Not an expert though. Post it at CRG. They've got pretty good experts there.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Poor small photo. Looks like 29.1
    Also the 2 looks like the incorrect font.

3. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    I would agree, almost looks like a 9 rather than 8. Maybe the OP can post a better closer image...CRG is primarily a Gen 1 site, they likely do not have a large database of Gen 2 trim tags.

What is the history on this car? Was the TT removed when you bought it? With only a handful of '70 Z28's built would be hard to compare to other TT's with a similar issue. Mistakes did happen and things were stamped incorrectly on occasion.

4. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Agreed the photo makes it difficult to see character detail, but the spacing between the "." and "1" characters appears too narrow compared to known valid/original Norwood Z28 TTs. the stamping equipment would set the spacing due to the dies and that space would be consistent regardless of the characters stamped.

5. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for all the feedback, I think you guys are right the trim tag was attached to the car but not the original rivets so the more I look at it, the more I think someone has messed with the tag. I guess it will be a really nice date code correct tribute car. Pays to know your stuff before you buy, Oh well its only money and a 800 hrs of restoration work. 20170807_115203.jpg

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Don't feel too bad. The scammers are getting better every day. Its a shame. If I didn't have my car since forever I'm not sure I would even try to buy one. I've checked out a few cars local for NastyZ members and what folks are claiming for original-numbers matching is amazing. Even if you do find what you think is an original TT the rest of the car is so far off. I'm beginning to think the real value of my car is that I've owned it for so long and have so many pictures etc. The TT and POP are almost secondary since they can be forged so easy.

FlaJunkie likes this.
  7. Delco115

Delco115 New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    A little late to the party here, but the "2" in the 28.1 stamp looks to me like an upside down "5". (??)