Trim paint

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by arm2004, Mar 7, 2018.

1. arm2004

arm2004 Member

May 5, 2017
    S.E. Ohio
    I need to paint the metal dash part along with the steering column and rest of the trim on a 1970 what paint to use- color is black. spay can or gun. I was looking at SEM trim black but the have satin, regular and gloss or is the something better to use. Thanks

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I've just started redoing all of my interior plastics with SEM. It's a pretty simple process, but the clear coat can be a bit difficult. I just clean the part really good with 409 or something, get all the dirt and old armorall off. Light coat of SEM, then two heavier coats 5 minutes apart. You can stop there or then move on to 2 coats of SEM low luster clear. I had some trouble with the clear coming out uneven. Armorall took care of that afterwards though.

For black you want SEM Landau Black, then optional SEM Low Luster Clear.

This is what my parts look like now. Sail panels were dark blue originally, arm rests were junk-yard find light blue.

trim1.jpg
    trim2.jpg

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
  4. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    SEM comes off, a buddy did his a year ago and it's coming off in places. I had my paint mixed at GNE paints here, it's an automotive paint company, had them sprayed by a painter, came out way better.

5. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    Most likely if it’s coming off he either did not clean it good enough or did not use an adhesion promoter.These are the 2 common mistakes when using sems.Always follow their instructions and the pieces will turn out great.Mine have been done for about 10 years and still look great!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. garyandcindy

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    I used rustoleum satin black on my front and rear metal headliner trim.Matched the landeau black almost dead on.I think krylon satin black would be a good match.And it dries faster than rustoleum.

7. arm2004

arm2004 Member

May 5, 2017
    S.E. Ohio
    That is what i was wondering especially the steal dash i had to replace the cowl panel and need to paint it. I want to do it right before i put it back together to last not fade or turn yellow (clear). The metal trim pieces not so much you can pop them off and repaint ( i will not be doing any plastic). So with that is SEM trim paint or Landua Black work for the steel dash from a spay can. I have used black spray can paint on parts that see a lot of sun and they fade (not SEM paint).

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I've been happy with SEM products. They've been a staple in my shop as long as I can remember. We use it for metal door aperture moldings, window trim, random pics oct 2010 017.jpg and that's what's on my metal dash. If you're spraying it out of a spray gun, you can vary the gloss. The slower the reducer, the shinier it is. Before it was really ready to paint, we sprayed the Kid's whole Camaro with it, and used PPG DT 895 reducer to get the gloss level he wanted. Held up for years till we could get it in the shop and get it done.

9. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    He went through the correct steps, he also works at the GM Tech center, he talked to a guy in the Placpstic Trim dept, one thing is painting parts that have been armour alled for years, rattle cans are Good for so much, having it professionally done is another thing.
    It's not falling off, it comes off easily, two diff things. I talked to the Paint shop foreman where I worked about the spray bomb stuff, they laugh.
    You can see a SEM car at a show, it looks like the interior was dipped, new, all these parts, metal, plastic, vinyl didn't all match.
    The metal parts get a paint, the plastic parts get a Automotive dye, have it mixed at an automotive paint store. the dash is a diff paint than say pillar posts and speaker grills.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  10. garyandcindy

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    I don’t know how the parts you see with sem looked like they were dipped.They are many members on here and other forums who have used sem products and had fantastic results.Me included.Mine looked like brand new panels once done.Sure didn’t look like they were dipped.And i’ve got lots of bad info from so called gm techs before.I go to more knowledgeable people.