Tricks to remove a th350

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Camaro75LT, May 6, 2006.

1. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    anyone have an easy way to remove the tranny short of pulling the motor with it? Always looking for innovative ways.

2. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    Remove the lines, the shifter, the downshift cable, the driveshaft, the torque converter bolts, the transmission crossmember bolts, and the bellhousing bolts, hold up with a jack, remove the crossmember, drop the transmission.
    Block up the back of the engine or otherwise support it during this procedure.

3. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    Buy a couple 10" ratchet extensions and a u-joint socket or a wobble socket ad you should be able to see and reach the belhousing bolts. If you have a floor jack, drill a hole into the cup and take a 1'x1' peice of board or plywood and put a bolt through it into the hole like this,
    [​IMG]
    Makes a great trans jack as the board will be a little wobbly and make it easy to line up the dowel pins to the holes.

4. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    Another good tip for lining up the trans on reinstall.

I always have the most trouble with that part so I bought a couple of longer 3/8" bolts at the hardware store.. screwed one all the way into the bellhousing bolt holes on block, then measured the thickness of trans...

Marked my two longer bolts alittle longer than that measurement and cut them off, rounded the ends of them and cut a slot in the ends.

Now I have two longer "dowels" I can screw into the lower or next up holes in block, and line up with the right holes in trans case.

Slide trans right up and bolt the rest of bolts up, remove my two twos and put in the reg. bolts.

5. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    I did this same exact thing. Works great.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My pal did that with some threaded rod, ground the threads off & rounded the ends like a alignment dowl. Works great.

7. TooLateVTEC

TooLateVTEC Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Fredericksburg,Va
    I did this on my car as well,only I kept the threads on it and their used as studs w/ lock washers and a nut on them.

8. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Seems pretty straight foward.

When getting the bellhousing bolts, is it easyer to drop the crossmember first, lower the back of the tranny down (dist and rad fan removed) to get an easier angle at the bolts?

9. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    I always found it easier to take the crossmember off last. Depending on how cluttered up or neat under your hood is, you may beable to get the top 2 from the top with a ratcheting wrench, or reg box/open end wrench.

If you cant do that cause of wires and what not in the way then use a long extension, wobbly joint and ratchet from under the bottom.

10. Camarofanatic73

Camarofanatic73 Veteran Member

May 15, 2005
    Sacto,NorCal
    Using a long handled ratchet with a pivoting head works good if your gonna get to the bolts from the top-or using an air ratchet w/extensions (w/ wobble) from below.
    Of course it would be easier with a helper, but I've had to manhandle the removal & replacement of a th350 a few times by myself