tree sap on paint and windows

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by muscl car, Jun 6, 2011.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

what's the best method for removing tree sap from a pine tree on your paint and windows ?? ....was at a car show yesterday and was parked under a very large pine tree and have tiny specks of sap all over my camaro !!!:mad::whine:

2. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Try either bug remover or even a clay bar. A mild polish like a swirl remover works also.

Good luck, and QUIT parking under trees!!!!

3. muscl car

thanks ............oh and that was the only shade ,guess i'll park out in the bright sun light exposed areas next year !!

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    I have found that Stoner brand bug and tar remover worked better on pine sap than the traditional Turtle wax brand. Stoner also makes that aerosol glass cleaner that people seem to like. Should be able to find it at an auto parts store. Get the sap off soon though, on my older refinished paint the sap etched it so badly in a few days that even after removing it completely it left pits in the clear that would have had to be buffed out.

5. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
  6. muscl car

just bought a turtle wax liquid ice claybar kit..............hopefully this will clean the paint

7. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    It should... Remember that anything aggressive enough to remove dried tree sap will also remove any sealant or wax you have on the car. A clay bar will do just that.

It will remove any surface contaminents leaving the surface clean, ready for wax or sealants.

8. ddc456

ddc456 Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    I live in the land of Pine Trees, use hair spray!!!! It does wonders on sap!!!

9. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheboro, NC
    Something I learned from an old school detailer back in the 80's...Dish soap and a single edge razor blade (held nearly flat against the surface).

When done correctly, it works great without any damage. Try it on the windshield first and you'll see. Use the dish soap straight out of the bottle. Don't dilute with water. The soap leaves a thin film between the surface and the razor, and also lets the blade slide very easily. I've done it this way for many years.

10. SavingTheBird76

SavingTheBird76 Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Mentor,Ohio
    I haven't tried it on tree sap,but hydrogen peroxide mixed with water does wonders on bugs.
    Dissolves them quickly for removal.