Transverse muffler exhausts

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by CAMLT74, Jan 13, 2010.

1. kustom77

kustom77 Veteran Member

Feb 10, 2002
    holland, michigan usa
    I installed it this past weekend... i'm not a big fan of the supplied hangers.
    With a little fab i think it would be possible to use stock hanger mounts. You might have to weld tabs to the tailpipes to allow frame mount to work.
    Tailpipes do exit out the back.
    I had headers to mufflers dumped in front of rear axle prior to this so i did not have stock hangers anymore.
    My local advanced has some stock hangers in stock i plan on picking up and seeing what i can do to mount it like original.

2. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

Jan 13, 2000
    Earth......?
    I have the 2.5" pypes transverse dual exhaust (w/x-pipe) - much better ground clearance. Love the fact that it doesn't come with tail pipe extensions - I left it as is, all hidden. Clean look.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Jack's are pretty good with only one shortcoming....laser cut blanks for the steels. The edges are not die blanked so you don't have the factory break edges. If you were not a tool maker you may never notice this, but maybe you would?

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Dave, I understand your point.........but come on.......no one has ever mentioned
    anything negative about Jack Seymours excellent repop hangars.

Gardner Exhaust & Joey Gray sell them with their systems.......

The fact that he was able to obtain original GM drawings, invest his own money
    in new tooling and have these made was fortunate for the hobby.

I wish more misc "accurate" repop parts were being made..........

Dave, I do respect your own work and all your contributions !!!!!!!!

Do YOU have the ability (at your work) to modify Jack's hangar to support
    a 2 1/2" transverse muffler....This would entail making a new/different longer
    piece that small bolt passes through ?????

5. fujimook

fujimook New Member

Jan 21, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Not wanting to beat a dead horse but if anyone else stumbles across this thread like I did when I couldn't get the system in a timely manner through Jegs or Summit, Advance Auto $267.99 - $80.00 (30% disc on exhaust parts right now) + tax = 195.62 delivered. SCORE!

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Just saw this from you Chuck and thought I would provide a reply.
    I didn't mean at all to lessen the work that Jack did. Laser cutting blanks for items like this is pretty common. I really wouldn't have expected Jack to build a die to stamp out the blanks. The only reason I mentioned it is for the (very) rare few individuals who have to have 100% perfect parts that there is a difference between his parts and what originally came on the car. They can go ahead and spend $1000 for an exhaust hanger and more power to them. Me, I have a budget and for all but 0.0001% of the people out there Jack's hangers will be just fine. This may be getting to NCRS level of scrutiny on these parts. Maybe even beyond that!

Tell me more about the mod to the hanger. I probably can make a change.

7. CamarosRus

I just ordered the THRUSH 89021 Transverse Muffler System for Advance Auto Parts online
    after I read where another member got a 30% discount bringing the TOTAL to $195 with
    FREE delivery.....
    Dave I wrote you a PM about modifying the OE style hangar for 2 1/2" tubing

I'm hoping Joey Gray can provide me with the strap/bracket to hang the tailpipe
    from the OE tailpipe hangar ....(IF it in fact will fit ???)

Repop1 Muffler Hangar 70+ Camaro.jpg Repop2 Muffler Hangar. Jack Seymour.jpg Seymour.Tailhangar.C.jpg Tailpipe1.70Z.SS.Camaro.HangarStrapDetail.jpg Tailpipe4.70Z.SS.Camaro.SideProfile.jpg Tailpipe5.70Z.SS.Camaro.SideProfile.2.jpg

8. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    For what it's worth, I used a Torque Tech system with straight through Borlas , I can back up over the Curb on Woodward, no clearence issues.
    It's a mandrel bent system too. Flow masters are too loud for me, even being straight through, the Borlas are not loud. They are packed with s steel wadding, lifetime warranty. You can look rite through the muffler.
    Also a bud sent a few low mile exhaust systems to Gardner, they are repo-ing these soon if not already.

9. CamarosRus

Gardner is repopping WHAT soon......................
    Burd post pics of your system showing misc details and angles ?????

I'm the person who supplied TOM GARDNER with his first ORIGINAL 70 OE/GM dual exhaust
    system that he then reproduced....

I NOW recommend Joey Gray for anyone wanting a OE 70+ Camaro system

THIS thread is intended to talk about NON OE Transverse Muffler (ONE Muffler)
    systems