Trading for a nice 79 z28 what to look for and do you think it's a good trade

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Drew rosenberry, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Drew rosenberry

Drew rosenberry New Member

Jan 12, 2018
    NEW PICS GUYS AND GIRLS! FROM PICS DOES IT LOOK LIKE A Z28,!!! Thank you I'm new here! I'm a chevy z28 guy. I've owned several nice ones. I'm older and now want another one! I have a darn close to new 1985 mustang gt. 50 EFI HO.i Have the build sheet, car has been stored inside a heated and cooled dr.s garage covered up. So it's new nice! Well I've found a nice 1979 z28 and he loves mustangs. So where going to trade even up. Does this sound like a good trade? It's nice. No rust, no bonds, 79,000 original miles. New torque thrust rims and new tires. It's a numbers matching 350 ci, auto, light blue interior, and darker new blue paint. What else besides vin can I look for. Trunk rear frame rails, if crashed? I'm a ase certified tech retirered and disabled! Do you think it's a good trade? Pic is in my profile pic. Thank you guys a lot!! Look forward to meeting you guys. Z28 has one slite Tare on the drivers seat on the side. Engine bay needs redone , I figure I'll have my cuisine come do heavy and rough stuff. I've built around 150 Sbc so that's no issue. I was asking 12,500 for my mustang.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Welcome to NastyZ!

Remember... You're asking a bunch of Camaro owners (almost all men) if you should trade your Mustang for a Z28.
    Hmmmm.... Let me think.

This
    [​IMG]

Or this
    [​IMG]

Seeing the car in your avatar makes me think the wise decision has already been made! ;)

Check the frame rails closely... Lower quarters, trunk drop offs, lower rear tail panel.
    The trim tag should show whether it's a Z28.
    (Quite a few other Z28 specific parts too... Steering wheel, front suspension bump stops,
    sway bar size, Z28 dash bezel, front spoiler, hood and fender vents)

A lot of info on this site!!!
    79 specific stuff here --> http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro79.html

Drew rosenberry likes this.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Welcome to NastyZ, small picture is hard to see but I don't think it would be a question for me... :)

Like Terry said, check for rust in the usual spots. Being a Mustang owner, you're familiar. Also the Camaro steering is mo' better when it comes to leaving car shows. :eek:

4. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Welcome! Most of us here are a biased crowd. ;)
    Get the Z.
    Perhaps the car still has the build sheet. I found one in an '80 or '81 when I took out the upper back seat. Maybe the guy will let you take a look before you trade. Doesn't hurt to ask since you have a build sheet for him with your Mustang.
    If you want an unbiased opinion, both of you could hire an appraiser and split the cost. He or she could appraise both cars at the same time and at the same location. Then you can go from there.

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Welcome to nasty Z.... we won't hold that Ford thing against you.. the value is in the eyes of the beholder !!

6. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    From a numbers standpoint, yes they are apples to apples....

7. Purebreed1

Purebreed1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Crystal lake Illinois
    Ok, I wil put my 2cents in this one as I have an 86 Mustang GT. The EFI 5.0 mustang from 85 was automatic only and were rather slow and not as desirable as the 5 speed HO engine combo. If it were me and I had to choose one I would lean towards the Camaro. Personally I kept my Mustang when I purchased my 73 Camaro.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Camaro For sure.

9. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Do the trade if the Z is in good shape. Square light fox body mustang hatchbacks are not as desirable on the collector side, and don't handle nearly as well as the Z. I don't see any downside if the Z is in good condition.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    I like them both, but that Camaro is a head turner looks like. For an even trade, if the car is as good as it looks, go for it.