TR3550 Tremec 2600708 questions....

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Dorito724, May 3, 2017.

1. Dorito724

Dorito724 Veteran Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Beaver Falls, Pa
    I had this fall into my lap. I don't know a whole lot about the 3550's. Can someone give me a run down on how to make this work for my 71RS383/3:73 setup? (currently a 700R4 car)

I have a flywheel already for my 383 and a GM muncie bellhousing (10" I believe) and the pedals/linkage - I've literally been collecting parts here and there for 10+ years.

2. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Tremec TRTB05007 will tell you a bit more if you have the svc tag attached.

It is a gen I 3550 or TKO. I think they made both OEM Ford and aftermarket (maybe 26 spline?).

Start measuring the pilot end, maindrive length, throw out tube, and bellhousing bolt pattern. By those alone, you'll know if you need an adapter.

3. Dorito724

Dorito724 Veteran Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Beaver Falls, Pa
    Thanks for the info! Here's the service tag

Attached Files:

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Bob Hanlon at hanlon motorsports right in PA can help you with what you need

Dorito724 likes this.
  5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Coarse input spline would be the 3550 non TKO tranny. Long input shaft would be a Ford version. Can be modified if so, not really a lot of work. Used to be a tranny shop run by a Jim Swarr that did this years ago there in Penn. Might check around for that. Perfect transmission for your car too, need a shortened driveshaft and move the crossmember back a hole. The 3:73 might be a bit low for that though. First gear might be a granny gear.

6. Dorito724

Dorito724 Veteran Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Beaver Falls, Pa
    Thanks for the info guys! I forgot about the longer shaft, good call. Worst case, I'll swap to a GM input. I plan on going through it anyway. It's a used track unit out of a cobra.
    Besides,that granny gear is
    for the car show crawl,right:)

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    You should call Tremec ... if you are going to go through it you might be able to change some of the gearing ... I have a TKO500 and when I go through mine I am going to change it to a TKO600.

I think the cases are so close that it might be possible ... just check with them and then you can bump yours up to a TKO500 or close too it.

8. Dorito724

Dorito724 Veteran Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Beaver Falls, Pa
    Bob at Hanlon Motorsports was very knowledgeable. Very helpful. I'll be doing business with them very soon.

I think I'm going with a 11" Bellhousing. I have a 10.5 so if anyone needs one message me.

also, i can get a Tilton hydrolic setup with a tremec GM bearing cheap!

thoughts?

BonzoHansen likes this.
  9. Dorito724

Dorito724 Veteran Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Beaver Falls, Pa
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1955-85-Small-Block-Chevy-Balancing-Plate,3262.html

Since Chevy never made a 153 tooth flywheel for a 400 small block Chevy externally balanced I found this gem!
    This will Change the balance of any internally balanced flywheel or flexplate to make it work with an Externally balanced crankshaft like our small block Chevy 400 crankshaft for the 383 stroker’s. Magnificent find! made my life a hell of a lot easier

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I purchased a 3550 new years ago. The guy I bought it from adapted it for the Chevy. It's been a good transmission. It was in car in my signature picture there with the wheels off the ground. I have a 373 gear also. I had 27 and a half inch tall tires in photo. I did have to adapt crossmember to make transmission sit lower to clear the transmission tunnel hump. It drops the back of the engine slightly. Had to slightly trim the opening for the shifter in the transmission hump but it worked with the factory console. I added a short-throw Hurst shifter which improved shifting quite a bit. I did not go hydraulic I just use a regular mechanical linkage.

Dorito724 likes this.